• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Are my Picassos ok?

hey guys, finally got my clowns last thursday, although they have been actuing extremely weird..one, (the bigger one) stays in one spot, and i rarely see it move out of that spot. At first it was the corner towards the front and now its by the return head. The smaller one swims all over the tank. Just earlier he was doing laps around the tank at a rather fast pace. Right now he is swimmiing in the middle of the tank exploring. i have yet to see them go into the rock work. heres a pic of what they were doing earlier..the bigger clown, the one that it is hard to see - -closer to the top andreturn head has not really come out of this spot except when i took my algae scrubber and cleaned the back wall..the bigger clown is hovering in a position where as if you were to look at the tank, his spine is pointed towards the front, almost as if he was laying on his side but just in open water, around the return head..here are some pics

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

i had them since thursday, there is a pistol shrimp and goby in the tank. to tell u the truth i really do not think the goby even knows they exist. i doubt its the pistol shrimp bc i havent heard his clicking. I put a GBTA in there from my other tank to see if it would make them happier but so far no good..any ideas?

What you are seeing is pretty normal for tank raised clowns. I don't think I have ever seen my clowns go into the rockwork even if I am trying to net them out. Mine will linger in the corners and on occasion will explore the rest of the tank usually doing a few laps. The GBTA will probably be ignored for several weeks, maybe even months. They may never host in it but maybe you'll get lucky. If they're eating, don't worry about them too much.

Do they sleep sideways at the top of the tank? That freaked me out the first time I saw that. Freaked me out even more one night when I saw a clownfish on the floor and when I went to pick him up, he was still alive.

hey thanks for the reply..yeah thats what it looks like? i checked them this morning, sleeping sideways in that corner..i cant get them to eat! i tried ,mysis, daphina, and i threw some flkae in therejust to see some reaction..nothing! any ideas?

Clowns usually have no problems eating. Try brine. If they still won't go for that, try live brine. Daphnia is probably too small for them to notice, so I would say that is wasted effort. Mysis and flake should come after they're done with their hunger strike.

Hmmmm..not sure what the problem is here. We kept them for a couple of weeks until premilove got his tank ready. We fed them a combination of Rod's Food, brine/mysis as well as ORA-Glo.

Hawkeye said:
that's really unusual that you have tank-raised clowns that don't eat. Did you see them eat at the LFS?

hey brian.. i tried the ora glow..they eat a couple of pellets..not pigging out yet..

i bought a hatchery for live brine shrimp i hope this works..

any other suggestions? they are ok tho right?

premilove,

Growing live brine is a pain since it will take about 2 weeks to grow them to adult. Baby brine is for fry, not adult fish. Doesn't your LFS sell adult brine? I know THR sells them at a dollar a bag.

OK so you found something they like to eat. That's a good start...still puzzled over why you have had such a hard time getting them to eat..usually ORA clowns will eat as soon as they are acclimated....crush up the ORA Glo pellets...if you'll notice they are a bit big for them. Crushing them up will also tend to make the pellets float a bit longer. Take your time, don't panic and be patient. :)

premilove said:
hey brian.. i tried the ora glow..they eat a couple of pellets..not pigging out yet..

i bought a hatchery for live brine shrimp i hope this works..

any other suggestions? they are ok tho right?

Yeah this is confusing as hell to me as well. These were from ORA right? I don't think I've ever seen a CB/TR clown not eat. Keep us posted as to how they are doing.

Sorry. That gave me a chuckle. Clownfish being your pickiest eater. My Banggai still won't eat frozen foods after 6 weeks. They still hold out for live blackworms or copepods. Made me rethink getting notorious bad eaters like CBB. Guess no way I can get that Moorish Idol either. =)