• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Are these lights any good

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I wouldn't buy Power Compacts, personally. The bulbs have to be replaced frequently and when you don't it causes all sorts of undersireable results (cyano). The color spectrum really shifts. I have a PC light I'd sell you cheap if you really want to start with one. The bulbs are fairly new.

Also depends on your budget because other lights can be pretty expensive metal halide or the vho. I just purchased 2 150 metal halide retro fit kit for just under 700 bucks. I also had a pc light and was not recommended for reef. All depends on what corals you want to keep. Good luck

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
I wouldn't buy Power Compacts, personally. The bulbs have to be replaced frequently and when you don't it causes all sorts of undersireable results (cyano). The color spectrum really shifts. I have a PC light I'd sell you cheap if you really want to start with one. The bulbs are fairly new.

+1 The replacement cost of a pc bulbs is over 2 times the price of a T5 bulb. Do yourself a favor and look for a T5 fixture. I also have a pc fixture laying around gathering dust!

Bob