• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ASM skimmer for 180 Gallon Reef ? Or some thing Better.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
OK I am going to replace my MRC-2 skimmer that is on my 180 heavy loaded reef tank. I am Looking at ASM What one do you think I should go with?
G-4 350 1 - Sedra 5000 8.5" 11.5x16" 24"
G-4 Plus 400 1 - Sedra 9000 8.5" 11.5x16" 24
G-4XX 450 1 - Sedra 15000 8.5" 13x14" 30"
Or if you think there might be a better skimmer under $500.00 I would love to here about it.
I Thank You for any and all help,
Daniel

Re: ASM skimmer for 180 Gallon Reef ?

i bought the ATI bubble master 250 and its a monster small and compact but skims like champ. i had an orca before and theres no comparison. I know its more than 500 but its definitely worth it!!!!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

Daniel, I’m confused…and that is very easy to do.

You currently have an MR-2….rated at 300 gallons…a skimmer I consider a Cadillac of skimmers…and you want to go to an ASM?  I’m definitely confused.  You have a very good skimmer now.  The MR-2 allows the addition of a second injector…if you are overloaded, add it and be happy!  You’ve got a winner.  Otherwise, I’ll take it off your hands.

One additional thought….are you running your MR-2 with a pump that is recommended as far as flow?  If not, upgrade the pump.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus

redfishbluefish said:
Daniel, I’m confused…and that is very easy to do.

You currently have an MR-2….rated at 300 gallons…a skimmer I consider a Cadillac of skimmers…and you want to go to an ASM? I’m definitely confused. You have a very good skimmer now. The MR-2 allows the addition of a second injector…if you are overloaded, add it and be happy! You’ve got a winner. Otherwise, I’ll take it off your hands.

One additional thought….are you running your MR-2 with a pump that is recommended as far as flow? If not, upgrade the pump.
I am running a Blueline 55 Pump with it. I am Just not a fan of the Beckett. I was just looking at the Octopus Extreme Skimmer.
If you like to buy it I will sell it to you. But I need to find a good skimmer that will make me happy first.

I know people who have the Octopus pro and the extreme series and rave about it. I personally like the needle wheel technology more than Becket.