• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Backup Power

Hello all, I'm new to the club. Just getting all my pieces in order to setup a new 185g tank. But, here's one questions that I have for everybody/anybody... What have you used for backup power? I was thinking of an UPS typically used for servers. Any other ideas?

i have a ups with a mj modded, and two of those air pump that work when the power go off, and now i have a big generator that i bough last year when i had the fire, but personally i think if is just for 1 hour or less the ups with a pump for circulation and the battery operate air pump will be enough, for the size of tank you have i think 3 or 4 pumps

Gabriel

ok,,thats not the one i was looking for, but greg hiller built a converter with a triplite converter and marine batteries. ill look more after i cook dinner.

yes but you have to be careful with that one, i read somewhere that if you make it wrong is alot of gas with it, so you have to put it in a place with good ventilation

Gabe

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here is a link to back-up system. Battery Back Up

We had kicked around the idea of doing these as DIY at a meeting. Unfortunately, meetings have gotten so large that it doesn't seem to be the best forum to take on such a large project. If anyone understands the circuitry part of this and wants to lead a demo/build for a smaller group during an off weekend, that would be great.

I have a 1430va UPS in the basement that is hooked up to about a 40 watt mag pump for the water Basically I calculated that the up could run for 34hrs with out me doing anything. I do not have my lights hooked up to it. Since the power draw would be alot since I running nearly 400watts in lights. Since I only have live rock and anonomes, fish and live rock. A day or two with out light things should be ok.

I'd highly doubt a 1430 is going to run a Mag pump for 36 hours. Have you ever tried pulling the plug on the UPS and let it run once all the way down to see what it will do in the real world?

I better option might be to forego the big pump and hook up a couple of powerheads and airstones to the UPS. There should be a lot less power draw from them which will increase your down time ability.

The new line of hydra powerheads are very good on wattage use and may be a good choice. Remember the goal is to keep everything a live as long as possible on reserve power and not really to keep everything running as normal. You can/should be able to go a couple of days without filtration running. The fish and corals should be able to live without light for a few days. Tank temperatures can be controlled somewhat by floating 2 liter bottles of frozen water on the top of the tank in summer or floating hot water in the winter assuming you don't have an electric stove, etc... You can augment lighting with a camping light (tube type) if you feel the need.

One thing I always recommend is to keep a batch of saltwater always around pre-made up. You can always do a slow water change to aid in the lack of filtration. The only concern here is to match the tank temporature which might require heating it on a gas stove to bring the temperature up. I've used a large pot to heat the salt water near boiling and then mixing it back into the rest of the RO/DI water. A couple of times doing this will bring the temp up pretty fast.

Something every tank should have is the bettery backup type air pumps. They are cheap and they will really help a lot. Just keep some additional batteries on hand for extra measure.

Another nice item to have on hand is a power inverter for the car. Although you would need to hook it up manually it can greatly expand your down time. At the earliest time switch your system over to the inverter and save what ever UPS juice you have in case you need it (i.e. emergency phone call and you HAVE TO LEAVE/drive away, etc)

It's really more important to be prepared and have a few cheap items on had (backup battery air pumps, premixed salt water, frozen 2 liter bottles) then just having a UPS. Although having any type of UPS is always a good thing but not the end-all of taking care of down time.

Just a few things to think about,

Carlo

GregW said:
cayars said:
One thing I always recommend is to keep a batch of saltwater always around pre-made up.

Not to get off topic but how long can you store saltwater?

As long as needed. I keep a Mag2 running in my batch-mix tank all the time. I keep a lid on it so it doesn't get contaminated.

Hello there,

Just make sure to watch the lid for mold. Some times it just appears.. Otherwise you should be fine with the water for awhile.