• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Be very CAUTIOUS!!!!

Please be very cautious of your surroundings when going to the malls or anywhere else when doing holiday shopping. My wife, her mother and sister-in-law went to the mall yesterday morning to do some holiday shopping. After shopping for a few hours and making two trips to the truck to drop everthing off, the third trip she found the truck empty. That's right, they broke into the truck and took everthing they had purchased that day. Even the navigation system which was in the glove compartment. A total of over $700 worth of merchandise including the navigation system was gone in a matter of minutes. That not including none of her mothers and sister-in-laws stuff. So PLEASE be carefull out there. By the way, this was at Menlo Park Mall.

That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I live close to Menlo and that makes me feel even worse. I hope the Edison P.D. can do something about it. Hopefully the person or people who did this will be caught.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That really sux. Sorry to hear that, Richie. Hopefully there's some truth to the saying "what goes around, comes around" and they get what's coming to them.

Any chance of insurance (either the malls or yours) covering any of the losses?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow..That's terrible!

Hearing stuff like this really burns me up, ruining someone elses holidays because people are too lazy to go out and get a freaking job!!!!!

Man that sucks!

File a police report if you haven't already and then follow up with your credit card company (hopefully you used a CC). They will often times replace the merchandise or cancel the charges (same thing) so you don't have the loss.

Carlo

what is with these car break-ins! that really stinks. I also live close to menlo and unfortunately car-breakins for the nav system are all too common.

I know this is too late - but next time consider using the nordstrom customer service dept to hold the bags for you. Then at the end of the day pick up all the stuff there. So sorry for the loss!

Believe it or not but the merchandise will be covered under their Homeowners policy. Just find out how much their deductible is, and what will happen if they file the claim. Sometimes it can be more trouble than it's worth. It goes as a hit against something called CRI, or Consumer Rating Index. It's how insurance companies determine if you are insurable, and one of the ways they charge you more.

That's just aweful! I am so sorry to hear about that. :(

I can't believe nobody saw anything suspicious. It was daylight afterall, and I'm sure the parking lot was pretty jam-packed with cars AND people.

---
Wendy

JerseyWendy said:
That's just aweful! I am so sorry to hear about that. :(

I can't believe nobody saw anything suspicious. It was daylight afterall, and I'm sure the parking lot was pretty jam-packed with cars AND people.

---
Wendy

I had that same question but then my fiance brought up the point of all you need is a woman yelling at some man about how sorry she is for locking her keys into her car and most people probably would not think anything of it!

jazzsam said:
I had that same question but then my fiance brought up the point of all you need is a woman yelling at some man about how sorry she is for locking her keys into her car and most people probably would not think anything of it!

Yeah, you're right about that, but then why would they remove all shopping bags and leave with them AND the GPS. ??? I guess I'll never figure it out because I can't put myself inside the head of such jackbutts. :mad:

---
Wendy

I will chime in here as I have a bit of experience in this area. (the enforcement not the theft ;D) Assuming that you filed a police report you must call them and ask about the status of the report/investigation. Check with mall security if you haven't already and give them the date,time frame and area you were parked in. I'm sure they had cameras running. Tell them you will be having the police department contact them to view any footage they have. Call back the police and tell them who you spoke to at the mall.
Tom

My wife called the house insurance and they said that as long as we have all the receipts for all the stuff that was stolen, that it should be covered. The deductible is $500. Another thing that I realized that was stolen was my IPOD. I didn't realize it till last night when I was looking for it. I don't even know where the receipt to that is or if I even kept it. That might be a tough lost. But anyway, I'm glad my wife will be getting her money back as well as her mom and sister-in-law. Might not be much after the deductible.
Lawman - my wife did ask the security and the police officer if there are cameras in the parking lot and the answer was no. The police man told her that, that was the second break in that morning.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What a terrible thing to have happen. Sorry that you're going to take such a big loss over this. Regarding the iPod, you might be able to get that added into the mix anyway. I had ski boots stolen from my car once and my homeowner policy replaced them for me. I didn't have a receipt either (and they were pretty old at the time). Maybe you can add that to the police report for proper documentation.

Good luck.

ricwilli said:
My wife called the house insurance and they said that as long as we have all the receipts for all the stuff that was stolen, that it should be covered. The deductible is $500. Another thing that I realized that was stolen was my IPOD. I didn't realize it till last night when I was looking for it. I don't even know where the receipt to that is or if I even kept it. That might be a tough lost. But anyway, I'm glad my wife will be getting her money back as well as her mom and sister-in-law. Might not be much after the deductible.

Credit cards have deductible of only 50$ (in general). However I don't know if it is per item or per purchase, or per event. Check with your CC company.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
That truly sucks. My wife used to work at Kohls in Homdel when it first opened. All the employees were given a big lecture about theft and that the cameras were every where. Well, my wife went to the bank to get some cash and put it in her locker. Low and behold upon leaving for the day someone broke into the locker and took a few hundred dollars. She asked the manager to review the video tape. The manager said it wasn't hooked up; there was nothing to review. They didn't even compensate her for the loss.

Mark

That sounds like lawsuit material. It's too bad that the lawer's fees would be 10x the amount of what was stolen. It's just the principle of the matter. Sometimes the innocent don't get righted when they should.

My wife got some good news today.... The insurance company just informed her that she should get back the full value of the items that was stolen and not what she payed when it was on sale :eek: :eek: :eek:.