• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Been gone for a few years

Couldn't even locate my old profile so had to create a new username. Have a 120g, with 40g sump and had a small refugium. Brew my water in the basement and pump up to the first floor.

Looks like a lot has changed in the last 2-3 years. Sandy pretty much wiped me out and I'm finally going to rebuild. Brian Griffin at OCGII and FENG were my two main sources. I stopped by Feng's a few weeks ago, but looks like he hasn't gotten much in over Feb due to the cold weather. Looks like everyone is also now running LEDs when they were new a few years ago.

To replace my pump in the basement, is the Mag18 still a decent pump or have folks found something better? I have about 12' rise and run it horizontal for about 40' for water changes.

Looking to rebuild softies, so will be going to LEDs soon.

Just kind of my way of saying who I am. Glad to be back.

Welcome back.

Mag's are rock solid, only negative I've ever seen is the heat. DC pumps are getting popular but unless you want to spend a lot of money, they can't handle the head pressure. I hope in a couple of years the cost will be driven down.
For softies, I would think any lighting out there from LED, T5s and MH would work. There is no one best, there are great tanks under all light conditions.

Karenvas2

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome back. On my new build, a 180. I am using the blueline 70. It powers everything.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have a blueline in my basement as well. Probably as reliable as a mag, but less wattage.