• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best 250W HQI ballasts? And height question also...

I'm getting two of these: http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...ting-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

Aqua Medic Ocean Light 1 X 250W. Pretty excited. Have been meaning to upgrade my lighting for a while.

What are the best ballasts out there for 250W HQIs? I was looking at Ice Caps, but I would prefer a dual ballast. Sunlight Supply pretty good?

Would obviously prefer the ballast to be a dual ballast.

Also, how high would you hang the lights? It's going to obviously be 500W total and for a 40G tank. I was thinking pretty high since the PAR readings should still be great all the way down.

malulu

NJRC Member
you may NOT want to hang it higher than your normal eye level, cause the light will be shining on your eye. unless you get something to cover it on the side.

or, you can have them lower, and make it less hours per day (probably 6 or so). instead of the normal 10 - 12 hours.

malulu said:
you may NOT want to hang it higher than your normal eye level, cause the light will be shining on your eye. unless you get something to cover it on the side.

or, you can have them lower, and make it less hours per day (probably 6 or so). instead of the normal 10 - 12 hours.

Good point. I'm about 6 foot so hanging them eye level might be perfect and I'd lower the photo period a bit. Good call, David.