• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

best Camera $300.00 for pics

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Edwin, I’m certainly no expert with today’s technology. But back in the day of film, I was into photography. I still have my Canon FI that a buddy bought out of Vietnam…what a deal. Anyway, I would think that you’d want a camera that had the option of changing lenses….for those macro moments. The link you provide looked like that wasn’t the case…..a fixed lens camera.

For good to great shots and quality you'd go with an slr camera body, which enables interchanging lenses. At the hobbyist level, the most important part and only part of the equipment is the lens. I know about Nikon, and you can get the last generation d3000 for that price. It comes with a decent lens that will shoot much better quality than any point and shoot compact. And later you can upgrade to a better lens as you learn. Below is a link to one. Also Canon has really good stuff as well, I don't know their equip but maybe someone else can chime in. Don't buy any of the other brands like Olympus, they're junk.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-D3000...940433?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item51b62fda91

Also worth noting, if you go up another $100 you can get video features, like in the Nikon D5000. We have one and can vouch for it.

Better yet though, if you buy used you get stuff thats just as good for 30% less on average.

Slickdeals.net wait for a dslr deal. I saw a canon t3i with a 18-55mm lens, 32gb memory card, and a bag go for 440 shipped.

Slickdeals.net wait for a dslr deal. I saw a canon t3i with a 18-55mm lens, 32gb memory card, and a bag go for 440 shipped.
this. im not expert by any means but i'm pretty sure if you're going high end you want a digital SLR camera. slickdeals constantly has bundle packs, since from what i understand the lenses are just as important if not more than the camera, thats what i would shoot for. i've been contemplating buying one myself and looked into this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T3i-Dig...UTF8&qid=1386187460&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+t3i
i cant justify spending that much when i have poop corals to take pictures of anyways lol

The t3i is a great starter dslr. My girls father has one. I'm waiting for him to upgrade lol. I get pretty nice pictures with my olloclip iPhone
camera attachment.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Thanks Dpptione andd Empire for the tios So.. im considering this one...

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC 4 Imaging with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

Any one have experience with it? Can i get waterproof kit for it? Does it take the same video quality as the nikon d5000?

thanks for all the reponses

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Thanks Dpptione andd Empire for the tios So.. im considering this one...

Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC 4 Imaging with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

Any one have experience with it? Can i get waterproof kit for it? Does it take the same video quality as the nikon d5000?

thanks for all the reponses

I have the T2i, and you don't need a waterproof kit for it if you're just going to take shots of your reef tank.

I would invest in a steady and sturdy tripod, will make your life and shots better. lol

if you want to take top down shots of coral, i recommend getting avast marine's port hole.

Once you're more comfortable taking pictures with your camera, invest in a Macro lens or to save some money, grab a tube extender and play around with it until you can grab some nice macro shots of your corals.

also when taking shots of anything in your tank, try to keep your lens and the glass of the tank parallel to avoid any warping of the image.

T2i, takes amazing video. The T3i, uses the same image processor if i am not mistaken.

The quality of the video and photos will be determined by the lens, not the camera. Since the Canon and Nikon SLR can swap lenses, you can get a better quality lens down the road. Like eg. A Nikon or Canon 180mm fixed f1.8 lens, which IMO is the best bang for the buck can be had used for about $300. Zooms quality lenses are much more $.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Thanks for all the info guys. Just ordered the.

Merry Xmas

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very nice Edwin.

Might I suggest that your first picture be of your lovely wife so that the police know who to look for when she kills you. :eek:

No excuses now....we better see pictures of you tank.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
No worries Paul... I used the "we need to record the stages of growth for our children" line. So this is for the family photo album not the "reef tank" :applause: :DEVIL:

Very nice Edwin.

Might I suggest that your first picture be of your lovely wife so that the police know who to look for when she kills you. :eek:

No excuses now....we better see pictures of you tank.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Lies! :p Just make sure you occasionally take some family photos with it to help make your case (and save your hide).

I agree with most of what was already said here, so not much new to offer. I would strongly agree with Judeo in that a decent tripod will do wonders. Even with the fancy image stabilization technology... a tripod will greatly improve your photos. I have the T2i also, and it's been a great camera for me. Mine came with the same 18-55mm lens too. It's pretty good for an all-around lens, but it does have it's limitations with close up macro shots. You will certainly want to look into a good macro lens and/or a cheap extender tube to help with that.

Good luck and Merry Xmas!