• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Best LED's for SPS

Hey guys,

After having failed miserably at keeping sps under my current LED's I was wondering what are you guys using to grow them.

I am starting yet another tank, and the plans for that tank (65 gallons) is a full blown sps tank.

Knowing me as I know me (deep stuff huh) this tank will most likely have high end sps, and what is the point of paying a premium if i can't keep them growing and colored up?

So basically, I would love great color, great growth and a cheap electric bill...

Is it too much to ask??

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have Radion Pros and love them. I get good color and growth. My only struggle is keeping yellows bright.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Best LED's is like trying to answer the best salt question, there is no right answer and you will get a bunch of them.

As jgraz said above, what current LEDs do you have and what was your system like? If your water params are off, I don't care what LEDs you have, you will not be able to keep SPS.

I'm setting up a new tank for sps only.

The lights I have over my 120 are the Maxspect razors.
Even montiporas were getting affected by them.

On the same system, but over a different tank I have a kessil a360w and that light does grow sps just fine.

I guess that rules out system instability because it's the same water...

No easy answer. Most LEDs are fine you need to tweek the background parameters to meet their needs. An sps may do poorly....yet move it 5" to the right and the color pops! Gotta figure out your garden scheme.

The intensity of my lights are set to top at 40% whites 60% blues

I had SPS all over the top of the tank... PAR was from 100 to 260 or so where I had the SPS

As stated on the original post I am in the process of setting up a tank... Levels don't matter yet as I have nothing in it.

The intent of the post was actually to get feedback from LED users and the pros and cons of their fixtures on SPS.
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

And yes, a lot more goes into it than just the lights.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you had success with the Kessils stick with them, I have heard good things. I have the ati hybrid fixture and the thing is amazing.

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have 4 Oceanrevive T247 over my system and I have no trouble growing SPS.

Nice. Thx guys!

Par of 260 burnt my sps down. They wouldn't have a chance at 400

I thought about getting more kessils and use them.
But I know someone who has an awesome looking sps tank with only LEDs.
AI's if I'm correct.

falconut

NJRC Member
I'm running (2) Ocean Revive S026's over my 90 gal and can grow SPS even on the sand bed. Very happy with these fixtures and the price point was awesome.

They have two manual dimmers, so you can select your desired color, but can't be controlled to dim, just on/off at the selected level you dial in. Not sure if you're looking for a fixture that can be fully controlled. If so, this one's not for you.

Yes, controllability would be a plus.

MNAT how many bulbs is that fixture? It crossed my mind going T5's (never had anything else but LED's)

Also, are those the 59w bulbs?
Do you have any idea how much that runs you monthly on your electric bill?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have the 5 foot 8 bulb fixture and love it. My electric bill did go up but it is hard to judge in the summer time when air conditioning factors in. Also I run my leds at 30% and the T5s at 60%, but you can obviously change that if you are worried about electricity. Geismann is coming out with a hybrid fixture too and I think you are going to see a good market for them eventually. Even with a DIY led fixture with all the latest colors, I think Leds still miss some of the color spectrum that T5s hit. That is my opinion and my experience, but I do know others who agree with me. Honestly if I did not care about heat and electricity I would probably put MH bulbs up.