• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

best way to clean used tank

What is the best and safest way to clean out a used tank. Nothhing crazy just some dust, some salt residue. Im pretty sure my best bet is white vinegar, but do I just do straight vinegar on a rag or what. Thanks everyone

I just went thru this myself andf all reccomended thw white vinegar. I just poured it in the tank and used a soft brisslte scrub brush.

diverrk said:
I just went thru this myself andf all reccomended thw white vinegar. I just poured it in the tank and used a soft brisslte scrub brush.
thanks thats what i figured just wanted to check

sgarron said:
If you come across any tough coraline spots that the vinegar won't remove, you can use muriatic acid.

This does work, but muriatic acid is a potentially dangerous chemical. Use it with extreme caution. You should wear proper eye protection and rubber gloves. A lab apron isn't a bad idea. I highly recommend you do this outside, even though a large tank is a pain to move.

I also recommend that you try other methods first, and use muriatic acid only as a last resort.

You can also fill the tank with water, and add about 1/2 a gal of the vinigar to the tank for every 15-20 g of water volume. Just set a good sized submersible pump that can churn the water and keep it just a bit warm, like a Mag 7 or so. Let it stir for a week and then drain it and scrub with the straight vinigar, and if needed, very carfuly use the muriatic acid.

Pre soaking makes it much easier and really helps get all those nooks and crannies.

wouldn't scraping with a razor blade be a better and safer method than using a caustic acid in the tank, does anyone know if muriatic acid has any effect on silicone?

When you buy dilute muriatic in the builder supply store it is at 20%. Not much stronger than vnigar but certainly a more formitable acid and one to be respected when handling. Muriatic should always be a last resort.

Some people are more sesitive to things like muriatic, portland cement etc. dermally than others. I can bath in it and it barely dries out my skin ... that's me, others can really get serious irritations, even vinigar bothers some folks. AND EVERYONE MUST PROTECT THEIR EYES WHEN HANDLING ANY ACID OR ALKALINE SOLUTION!!!

I am concerned about a razor scratching a viewing surface. That's why I recomend soaking in vinigar for a few days, it may be all the effort that is needed to have a spotless tank, skimmer, pump, what ever. I find I use enough Klak and Ca additive (a Ca reactor) that I have to use an utlra-sonic cleaner with a strong vinigar solution to clean my pumps and power heads about once every three to four months.

I just pulled a skimmer and a sump dedicated to it off line and have had them bathing in a vinigar soak for about a week. It took about three days to see the surface begin to loosen up, but eventually, I took a soft brush and just brushed away two years of serious crud.