• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

"BIG THREE" levels of comsumption

My 58 gallon oceanic with 20 gallon sump is now 5 months old and is doing well. My only concern is the amount of calcium and alkalinity I add each day to keep the levels in line.

Every two weeks I do a 20% water change using reef crystals salt. When the water change is complete I add 7 tsp of Kent DKH superbuffer and 3 ounces of kent calcium. After this everyday I add .5 ounces of Kent tech magnesium, 6 tsp of alkalinity and 2 ounces of calcium. All of this to keep the calcium between 450 - 400, the alkalinity between 12 - 9 and the magnesium from 1500 - 1380.

Does this sound excessive? Could it be that my Tunze 9010 protein skimmer is overskimming? I also have about 10 pieces of coral in the tank, 4 fish and 3 snails which are also absorbing nutrients.

Thaks for your thoughts - Jon