• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Biocube 29 for first tank

I am thinking of getting into SW and was wondering about the BC29. I figure that I can start out with FOWLR and then slowly move into corals, but I have a few questions:

I have read mixed advice on starting out with a small tank, some say it's foolish to start with such a small tank while others encourage it - any thoughts?

What type of corals could I keep with the stock lighting in the BC29? LFS guy said I could keep soft corals - Anyone have any experience with the stock lighting?

I would be happy with a few small fish and some corals and thought this might be the way to go to test out a SW tank.

Any comments would be much appreciated

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I started with a 20 gallon tank. It is much harder to keep the water conditions correct in a small tank. But I think it was good for me to learn how a reef tank works before getting a bigger tank. If you get really into it, there are always deals on tanks that people see on here or reefcentral. a 29 will last for about 6 monthes then you will ready for a bigger tank. I went from a 20 to 30 to a 55 to a 90. And now I want a least a 265. start saving your money now.