• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble trap is it necessary?

horseplay

NJRC Member
I am planning my new sump which is a 40g breeder. Since I will have a separate refugium there will be only live rocks in the sump. Can I have only two chambers, one for the drain/filter sock/skimmer and the other live rocks/return pumps? This will give me a bigger return area. Will bubble be a problem?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It depends on your skimmer. Note, my skimmer is an SWC160. I too have a 40 breeder sump with no bubble traps.....only two baffles. The setup is, from left to right, filter sock and skimmer / return pump (and biopellet reactor) / refugium. I have no bubbles in my return section.

acd69baa-cf63-4ea0-8a0c-4d921b6148c3_zps53624d6a.jpg

horseplay

NJRC Member
There is no bubble in my return and recycling section with my skimmer. So I am going to do go without the bubble trap then. Thanks Paul.

If you do get bubbles put a piece of eggcrate cage at the bottom of the last baffle to your return pump and fill it with live rock rubble. Bubbles have a hard time flowing over liverock to your return pump.