• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Building a sump

I don't know if this is the right spot for this topic but I hope so.

Anyway I'm looking to build a sump out of a 20L after the holidays. I have never made baffles and such so I'm looking for some ideas. Can someone walk me through this or link me to a good writeup. I plan on having a fuge, as large as possible and I will also be putting in a reef octopus nwb 110 in here as we'll. I'll also have my return pump obviously and my pump for my reactor. What equipment will I need to build this? I know I'll need silicone (is any kind fine?), the tank itself and then glass baffles. Any advice would be great

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I built two sumps out of 20L's for my 40B and 65. I used aquarium silicone from my LFS. Do not use a silicone with a mold inhibitor!

Used 1/4" glass for the baffles and did 3 sections:
IMG_0615_zps5e7dac7a.jpg

Im using an eshopps sponge for a bubble trap before the return section. It fits the width of the 20L just right.

Flow testing the sump (without foam).
IMG_0364_zpsd95de2fe.jpg

I built two sumps out of 20L's for my 40B and 65. I used aquarium silicone from my LFS. Do not use a silicone with a mold inhibitor!

Used 1/4" glass for the baffles and did 3 sections:
IMG_0615_zps5e7dac7a.jpg

Im using an eshopps sponge for a bubble trap before the return section. It fits the width of the 20L just right.

Flow testing the sump (without foam).
IMG_0364_zpsd95de2fe.jpg

Awesome!.thanks for the good response. Can I ask how tall your baffels are and how spaced apart?

And since 2 other threads are speaking of crashes, please don"t use GE silicon II.
Come to think of it you should have pretty good access to real aquarium sealant anyway.

If I remember you said you were gonna do a traditional sump/fuge right. Skimmer/Fuge/Return? If so then size the first section to the skimmer you will use. Then the return section to the pump, making sure to leave enough depth there to keep the pump submerged. I used the bubble trap after the skimmer, but I have seen them after the fuge instead. I would also reccomend 1" between baffles, but you could go less like 3/4". I also recommend 1/4" glass.

And since 2 other threads are speaking of crashes, please don"t use GE silicon II.
Come to think of it you should have pretty good access to real aquarium sealant anyway.

If I remember you said you were gonna do a traditional sump/fuge right. Skimmer/Fuge/Return? If so then size the first section to the skimmer you will use. Then the return section to the pump, making sure to leave enough depth there to keep the pump submerged. I used the bubble trap after the skimmer, but I have seen them after the fuge instead. I would also reccomend 1" between baffles, but you could go less like 3/4". I also recommend 1/4" glass.

Yup.that's what I want to do. Thanks for the help john. How do I keep the baffles in place when I silicone them in

painters tape or dvd cases while the tank is laying longwise up

I used both on the baffle on the return side and the first on the skimmer side. Then I let them set for a few hours. Then found some wood that was 1" used that to space the bubble trap. I used lines on the outside of the glass to know where I wanted the baffles and placed a bead of silicone just infront of that line then pushed the baffle through the bead, sealing one side then place bead on the other side, then more spacers then the next baffle.

I used both on the baffle on the return side and the first on the skimmer side. Then I let them set for a few hours. Then found some wood that was 1" used that to space the bubble trap. I used lines on the outside of the glass to know where I wanted the baffles and placed a bead of silicone just infront of that line then pushed the baffle through the bead, sealing one side then place bead on the other side, then more spacers then the next baffle.

great thanks. I'm not looking forward to this lol

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
When I did my sumps, I held the baffles in place with tape and then I put a small 1/8" wide x 1" long area of silicone on the two sides and bottom of the baffles. I let that cure and then removed the tape. The silicone helded the baffles in place and gave me unrestricted freedom to silicone away. I ran a bead right over the little silicone spots and used this for a nice clean and finished look:
3B4622C2-B7AD-4C74-9015-D680E3F703D1-677-0000011EA6BC2607.jpg

When I did my sumps, I held the baffles in place with tape and then I put a small 1/8" wide x 1" long area of silicone on the two sides and bottom of the baffles. I let that cure and then removed the tape. The silicone helded the baffles in place and gave me unrestricted freedom to silicone away. I ran a bead right over the little silicone spots and used this for a nice clean and finished look:
3B4622C2-B7AD-4C74-9015-D680E3F703D1-677-0000011EA6BC2607.jpg

Awesome thanks for all the info everyone. Now I just have to get a 20L and get started measuring