• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

buying fish

buying some fish tomorrow after work tomorrow, hopefully some yellow tailed blue damsel or green chromis. will be posting pictures. and some LR excited its pay day. all my levels are on point or zero! ah its so exciting first live item in my fish tank besides bacteria. hard to explain to friends my excitement all the bacteria on some rocks, but i still am excited to see my bacteria growing well. Thanks everyone on this forum for the help, maybe one i can contrubute

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Congratulations! I still have the blue damsels that I started our tank with over 4 years ago.

I can remember the first tank Doug and I set up (FW, over 28 years ago) and we would sit watching the empty tank and talking about what kind of fish we would get when it was finally ready. ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're SEEING bacteria growing, what you have my friend, is algae. You shouldn't see bacteria growth. Those are microscopic. Dusty brown stuff is diatoms which are likely to burn off in the not too distant future though, so don't sweat too much. A good clean up crew will also help you immensely.

As I'm sure you've read, damsels (other than chromis) are notoriously territorial and mean. They can chase/kill other fish in that manner. You will need to make sure that future additions are not peaceful happy fish because they will be literally scared to death.

Chromis are the peaceful tank approach to first fish, though there are lots of other fish that are hardy and not cost an arm and a leg. Stock carefully. You get precious few fish per gallon and with any luck your first fish will still be with you 3 years from now!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
jonathan. said:
Quarantine everything and you will never have disease.

!?Really?! I think that's a topic for debate (in another thread).

I would absoluely recommend QTing new fish for many reasons, though.

Phyl said:
jonathan. said:
Quarantine everything and you will never have disease.

!?Really?! I think that's a topic for debate (in another thread).

I would absoluely recommend QTing new fish for many reasons, though.

Well, by disease, I mean the common ones. Velvet, brook, and crypt. All 3 can be 100% prevented with Quarantine. Plus, I don't want to see the guy who's new to salt water get dejected when he loses fish like I did when I first started (and didn't QT).

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Prevented by quarentine? Really? This is where I'll just have to disagree...

[soapbox]
If you have an asymptomatic fish carrying ich that fish can be asymptomatic the entire time he's in QT and carry that ich right into your fish tank at which point your other fish who may not be as resillient could come down with it. You can't prevent a disease by QT, only treatement (not that I'm recommending that, I just don't agree with the theory).

Again, I strongly recommend QT for the purposes of watching a fish for health and eating, enable easier treatment should the fish come down with something in QT, etc... but prevention just isn't on that list. You certainly want to give the bad things a chance to happen while the fish is in a controlled environment. But there are no guarentees.
[/soapbox]

Phyl said:
Prevented by quarentine? Really? This is where I'll just have to disagree...

[soapbox]
If you have an asymptomatic fish carrying ich that fish can be asymptomatic the entire time he's in QT and carry that ich right into your fish tank at which point your other fish who may not be as resillient could come down with it. You can't prevent a disease by QT, only treatement (not that I'm recommending that, I just don't agree with the theory).

Again, I strongly recommend QT for the purposes of watching a fish for health and eating, enable easier treatment should the fish come down with something in QT, etc... but prevention just isn't on that list. You certainly want to give the bad things a chance to happen while the fish is in a controlled environment. But there are no guarentees.
[/soapbox]

The thing is that you're likely going to see the disease surface sometime in QT. Be it in the 1st day or the very last day. I've never had a fish that I QT'd ever come down with any sickness or disease. There's a specific lifecycle for most marine parasites, so it's definitely easy to break them and never have to deal with them.

I QT everything, but I also QT with Crypto-Pro (a Quinine based medication which is fish safe but eradicates any parasites), which I'd recommend as well. But I do feel that a normal QT can 100% prevent the big 3 parasites from entering someone's tank.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ahhh treatment. Much different than just QT. See? We do both agree. If you didn't believe there was added benefit to treatment you wouldn't do it... now would you?

I do feel that a normal QT can 100% prevent the big 3 parasites from entering someone's tank.

Change that 100% to 80% and I might agree. ;)

Phyl said:
Ahhh treatment. Much different than just QT. See? We do both agree. If you didn't believe there was added benefit to treatment you wouldn't do it... now would you?

I do feel that a normal QT can 100% prevent the big 3 parasites from entering someone's tank.

Change that 100% to 80% and I might agree. ;)

I only treat new fish because I have a ton of the Quinine laying around from an ich outbreak ages ago. I bought too much of the stuff and, I figure that why not give it some use!

But I still do feel that QT will show roughly 100% of any ailment that a fish has, parasitic wise. I know that I've never seen a fish mysteriously come down with crypt months later if I never saw it before ;)

crap well id love to QT but i dont have the money to buy a QT tank. what size and what kind of filter and etc... should i have with it? ??? like a 10gallon wit a sponge filter? LR? ahh winning the tank was a more then i bargined for

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, a 10g tank with a sponge filter would be fine. No rock. Maybe some PVC for hiding places.