• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Caribsea Mineral Mud

Has anyone used this before? It has directions for what to do if you start it with a new tank. Has anyone added this to a refugium on an existing tank? It says to let the filter run for a day or two after you let it settle for 2-3 days... if i let it settle and then run the refugium, will it hurt the fish at all?

welcome to NJRC!

I have never used the product but I believe all types of "mud" product are geared towards helping to reduce nitrate. You'd need a certain amount for it to be effective. But I'm not sure the value of this "mud" versus just aragonite sand.

If the product "hurts" fish - then I would not use it at all. That stated - to my knowledge mud doesn't hurt fish. It *might* mess up the chemistry of the tank which would impact the fish/inverts - but it shouldn't.

Like I said - I have on experience with the product so maybe someone who does can chime in.

I've never tried this product per say but I have recently added Fiji mud to my setup. I shut all my pumps down while i added the mud and did not turn them back on until it all settled. I really saw no bad effects from doing this in my experience, but again not to sure about the mud you are using. I don't know if that helps

I've tried the product in a hang on the tank refugium (read small). I didn't see any big difference.

I'd say go with normal aragonite sand, unless you have some specific reason for wanting a mud based refugium.

I have a mud based refugium. I got the figi mud from the builder of my sump. I covered it with some sand and then rubble on top. The benefit as I understand it is in the trace minerals ect. Some say you don't need it unless you have mangroves for what it is worth. I have great growth with my cheato, cannot say it is from the mud though. I don't think there is a big deal if you use mud or sand really I like the "natural" feel of it.

I started with it FYI, I would guess that if you add it after the fact it will be like adding sand after the fact.

My builder also recommended Fiji mud. Like he said it replaces trace elements that are stripped from your tank. I also have cheato in my fuge and a single mangrove. From what I understand you aren't going to see a huge difference right away, just like with everything it takes time. Jr do you have any inverts moving mud around?

I have a few brittle stars, a snail or two, and I had a hitchhiker crab that I had found when moving my tank. Plus pods from MikeM. I should probably get some worms or something at some point I guess.

I ask because i read somewhere that if you moved i around it might release toxins into your tank. Don't know how true that is. Also where would you buy worms at?

The mud is doing fine... it didn't harm anything. The only reason I went with mud is because I put mangroves in the fuge. They are doing well too!

very nice site. I will also be pacing an order fairly soon. Good call phil. You know anywhere I can get good Acro crabs?