• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

check out the rubbermaids

Wow, now that's interesting. I guess when you have that much room under your stand, your imagination can run wild! Pretty cool setup.

pics

180g_sump1.jpg

180g_sump2.jpg

180g_sump3.jpg

180g_sump4.jpg

Hey

that's not my tanl/setup, belongs to a guy on RC, Giancarlos Podio. I just posted the link/pics here for those who may want to build a sump/refugium from rubbermaid bins. I can't take the credit for such a great setup, I wish I could, but I can't. Shoot, I struggle trying to figure out where to put baffles, my skimmer, return pump, sand and even water in the sump I'm working on.

rev

only thing with those rubbermaids, is they bow & flex... I would be a little concerned without some wood support around them... But i know other who have used them with success.. otherwise its an awesome setup..

If light is hitting them, as say in a refugium, wouldn't they become brittle over time? Just a question, I guess every material has it's drawbacks.

eholceker

NJRC Member
those rubbermaids tend to not fare to well. If you want to swing by and check out the one my rock is curing in you are more than welcome to do so.

I am also using these exact Home Depot / Lowes Rubbermaid containers (different sizes) but they are inside a Rubbermaid 100 gallon commercial sump made from a completely different material (it is actually a farm animal watering container). The material for the 100 gallon is extruded foam, while the other Rubbermaid tubs are made from a much softer plastic.

The concern I have is not so much the flexing because again, even if it tears, the water will be contained in the commercial tub, but are the Lowes/Home Depot Rubbermaid storage containers "reef safe" in terms of leaching noxious chemicals into our reefs??

Chris