• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Clam getting attacked !

My darn Starry is nipping at my clam :'(. I love them both ! It only started in the past few days, I'd say they have been in the tank together for at least 2 weeks. I moved the clam off the bottom up higher onto the rock figuring he wont bother looking for it, but he did ! Damn do I need to make a choice between them now ???

The Starry is so cool to watch and the clam is so beautiful.

Starry Puffer? Their natural diet includes clams and other molluscs. Have to build a cage like ds4x4 suggests but make sure it will hold up. He might get inventive and find a way to break in or move the cage. Long term, I think you will have to choose.

Well I went to google starry blenny and you won't like this. This came from wetwebmedia (mods please edit if this is not allowed):

....I wanted something other than a lawnmower for variety, so first I tried a black sailfin, no good, it nipped the clams. So I got that out using a homemade acrylic trap, and replaced
it with a starry blenny (Salarias ramosus). This was a disaster, it tried to eat the clams, not nip them. And it attacked brittle stars, shrimp, anything but other fish. To top it off, it taught my hippo tang that clams were food, so I had to get both of them out (acrylic trap again, really works)......

Damn, i didn't see that when I looked it up at liveaquaria. Well what i didi today was put some seaweed in the tank on a clip and it keeps him busy and fufilled from what i see. The clam has opened up fully so far. Going to have to keep an Eye out for it.

Thanks

LOL, that's not the edit I meant but thanks.

Yeah, you can't trust the description from liveaquaria. It's usually good but remember, they're in the business to move livestock. I hope that blenny stops harassing the clam.

GULP! I have a starry blenny in my 180, along with 3 clams. So far so good. I sure hope he'll never develop an appetite for them. He's never bothered anything, none of my shrimp, nothing. But I do provide Nori regularly.

I'm just noticed my Duncan has been getting nipped at. At least that's what it looks like to me. Here is the fish I have, and they all are supposed to be reef safe.

Coral Beauty
Pajamm Cardinal
Bangaii Cardinal
Citron Goby
Clown

Cardinals and clowns not suspects at all. CB is possible (All angels are nippers no matter how reef safe people say), though usually unlikely. Goby might be a suspect only because it is a percher. Might be perching on it (though duncans are not good perching spots). I think the CB is the guy. Watch him carefully to make sure.

Wendy,

Any time those clams need to come out, let me know ;) J/K.

;D I'd get rid of the CB before the clam ! I'm going to have to hide and watch them, because everytime I go anywhere near the tank they line up for feeding . The Goby has been perching on one of my millies, hence why no polyps out lately.