• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

closed loop system

Im trying to put together a closed loop system with a manifold for my 65gal reef tank i have a mag 5 any ideas trying not to use power heads.

Here's the plumbing I used for a non-drilled CL. It works well. The over the top section needs that plug at the top to allow you to prime with water and bleed air after service. The drop tube to the pump should be at least 1.5 x the pump intake. The in tank intake can be set at any depth so long as it never ever has any opening above the lowest possible water level, once primed, it'll never loose prime, which is super important to protect your pump. This set up never lost prime on me thru several power outages.

overtopUtube1.jpg

overtopUtube.jpg

overtopUtube2.jpg

I've used several Mags (9.5, 7 & 5), Pan worlds, and Little Giant pumps on this configuration. While some Mags leak just because they do, most of these pumps were great in this application.