• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Cloudy Water

Been awhile since setting up a tank so not sure if this is still normal or might be from dosing kalk. Added substrate (50 lbs in display and 10 lbs in fuge) to my 58G on Saturday and tank has been running since. Sandstorm ended on Tuesday but noticed last night it still has a milky haze to it. I have been dosing kalk since Tuesday (wanted more Ca than reefcrystals provide). Is this haze still from the addition of sand or could I have dosed too much kalk?

Ca was 380 dKH 8
Ca now 440 dKH 10-11

I also dosed kalk in main tank and no haziness at all
Ca 380 dKH 8
Ca 420 dKH 10

That's what I think too. I should add I have a lot of stuff going on with this setup. Squid up on top, spraybar across bottom (still kicking up sand), pair of tunze's still playing around with the flow. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't in danger of inorganic precipitation of calcium, though dKH is in line with what I would expect.

calaxa said:
Been awhile since setting up a tank so not sure if this is still normal or might be from dosing kalk. Added substrate (50 lbs in display and 10 lbs in fuge) to my 58G on Saturday and tank has been running since. Sandstorm ended on Tuesday but noticed last night it still has a milky haze to it. I have been dosing kalk since Tuesday (wanted more Ca than reefcrystals provide). Is this haze still from the addition of sand or could I have dosed too much kalk?

Ca was 380 dKH 8
Ca now 440 dKH 10-11

I also dosed kalk in main tank and no haziness at all
Ca 380 dKH 8
Ca 420 dKH 10

I'd guess the sand too but why not hold off on kalk dosing until the sand has "clumped" a bit with the bacteria. Are there corals in there already that you want to boost the CA?

Nothing there except xenia and kenya tree that was stuck on the rock. I was prepping it to add a clam. Was using it as my test bed to see how much pH would spike, etc. It's definitely sand. It cleared some more today but my spraybar is constantly kicking it up so not sure how clear this will be without me rearranging some things. Probably will haze it again when I get to configuring the Tunzes.

you have a CLS/spraybar on the bottom and adding tunze phs? i'd love to see a pic of this. I always thought people either did one or the other - closed loop or powerheads...not both. Or am I mis-reading it?? ???

From my sump, I'm using 2 Mag 5s as return pumps. One directs back up to a squid which provides surface aeration. The other mag returns to the spraybar which I have come all the way down the back of tank near the substrate. So it's not really a CLS but an emulated one. I also got a pair of tunze 7200/2 using the 7094 controller. I'll try to get a good picture but all of them are turning out way too blue.

Hawk,

Here is a FTS. I'll try to get better pictures another time and maybe post in tale of the tank. I never did properly introduce myself to the community. You can see the white bar come down the center and the spraybar is at the bottom going across the entire length of the tank. Up top are the returns using the squid. This was birdlady's setup from 3reef. I set it up the way I think she had it and replaced the lights with the ones I bought from autoponicz. I think I have enough flow in there for any SPS or clams. Definitely enough light (raises my tank 5 degrees and I run this system at night).

DSC_0058.jpg

Interesting set up!

Have you thought about removing some sand? Reason I ask is that at that level - it looks almost parallel (same height) as your spraybar. Maybe it's the pic - but that's what is looks like. If you remove some height from the sand -t hen the spraybar would theoretically blow over it...unless your holes are pointed down or something.

Alternatively if you could adjust the spraybar so the holes are pointing up/away from the bed? Maybe that would help with the sand.

I think this is the one drawback with those of us who like sand and want clams/sps - the initial battle of figuring out the right water movement vs sand storm.

Never seen the 7200s - they are longer than the 6101/6201/6301s but thinner at least.

Are the clam shells on the bottom the base for future Tridacnid Clams?

Very nice rockscaping. ;D I would definitely blame the cloudiness on the added sand. Just give it some time and it'll go away. I don't know if you mentioned it or not, but do you use a filter sock? Once I slapped them on mine after setting up, the milkiness went away a few days later.

Phil,

The bar is not quite parallel. There is about 2 inches. There are some holes that are pointed down. It's hitting the rocks and then bouncing into the substrate. Creating a few ditches in the back, etc. My son insisted we put the clamshells in there. It's his tank after all. I'll probably adjust the bar tonight because I am sick of the ditches they're creating.

Wendy,

Thanks. I don't run filter socks anymore. Had a bad experience once but I know that would help it. =)