• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

coast to coast aquariums

After 2 years of being tankless I've decided to start again and move super slow with my tank setup making sure to do it correctly.You guys and gals on here were very helpful before so I'd like some advice. I got a custom quote from coast to coast aquariums for a 36" x 30" x 20" center overflow w/ Starphire on 3 sides, 3/4" glass, I feel the price is a bit high but I'm contemplating it. My question is has anyone been out to their facility or ordered a tank from them? How is the service etc or if you have a tank from them can I see a picture? They came back w/ the quote pretty quickly in a few days where as w/ reef savvy I believe in florida I haven't heard back yet (bet they're busy w/ all the RC praise) They also sent a picture of a slightly larger tank that was similiar to my requests and it does look nice. I wanted the deep front to back because I intend on a number of plate corals & Scoly's which I'd put on the sand / right near the bottom.

-Ian

Sounds nice. Is it rimless? The only thing I think would be of some concern to me would be the 3/4" thick glass, only because of the number of things we like to attach to our tanks using magnets. So, I would probably look at the devices you might want to use and see if what the maximum thickness they're capable of dealing/attaching with.

Ian,
I am in the process of finalizing a custom build with them right now. I have been to their facility and seen their work....very professional and the attention to detail is very good. The tank they are working on for me is 60x36x30 and they will be building on site in my basement. I agree the price is on the high side but the quality is there. One of the reasons I chose them is because given my access points to my basement I would be very limited on tank sizes that I could put down there. I am paying an additional premium for the on site build but I am getting my dream tank!!!! theres a thread on RC for a guy in florida that just had one of their tanks built and delivered. I will see if can find it and send you the link to it.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have no personal experience with them, but have heard many many good things about coast to coast. I've never heard anything bad about their work either.

They are sponsors of our club and may give you a discount if you tell them you are a member of NJ Reefers. Not positive on this, but it's worth asking.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The tank that we donated and maintain at the NJAAS is a Coast to Coast Tank, very well made.

Bob

Downbeach: the 3/4" glass is what they quoted / suggested, it is rimless. I believe when I looked at Reefsavvy's site they said for 20" high they use 1/2" glass so I feel pretty good about the 3/4"

Spotter: I saw your post on here that they were going to build it for you in the basement which is awesome, I hope you keep that updated with alot of pictures so I can follow along. If you find the RC thread let me know, I try to read as much stuff on there as possible but I've been consumed w/ LED threads recently

TanksnStuff: I'll mention the NJRC thing to them and see what they say. I also forgot my old username was buffalowing not this handle, doh, not a big deal either way.

I may have to find an excuse to go out adn see the facility and talk to the guys, they told me their warranties and you get a 3 year if you buy a stand from them, 0 warranty if you build your own which is what I had planned. We're moving in 3 years so wonder if it's worth risking hte no warranty route or not.

I am letting them build a steel stand for me. I dont trust my construction skills to build something sturdy enough to hold this tank. If I was just buying a tank $500 I would definitely be into building the stand but not one for this investment. I will definitely start a build thread once things are under way.

Just got a quote back on the exact same build that I got a quote from coast to coast but this quote is from Reef Savvy in Miami, they're raved about on Reef central. They will build a custom lid for the overflow and the other difference is 1/2" glass as opposed to 3/4" glass however the cost is 1/2 of what Coast to Coast wants. Even with 5-600$ in shipping it would be considerably cheaper, hmm.

Just got a quote back on the exact same build that I got a quote from coast to coast but this quote is from Reef Savvy in Miami, they're raved about on Reef central. They will build a custom lid for the overflow and the other difference is 1/2" glass as opposed to 3/4" glass however the cost is 1/2 of what Coast to Coast wants. Even with 5-600$ in shipping it would be considerably cheaper, hmm.

Is it still rimless, and starphire glass?

Ian,
I am in the process of finalizing a custom build with them right now. I have been to their facility and seen their work....very professional and the attention to detail is very good. The tank they are working on for me is 60x36x30 and they will be building on site in my basement. I agree the price is on the high side but the quality is there. One of the reasons I chose them is because given my access points to my basement I would be very limited on tank sizes that I could put down there. I am paying an additional premium for the on site build but I am getting my dream tank!!!! theres a thread on RC for a guy in florida that just had one of their tanks built and delivered. I will see if can find it and send you the link to it.

I spoke to these guys a few weeks ago about a custom tank.. they're very good. A little expensive but you get what you pay for. The service is worth the extra money. Every other company I called seemed like they didn't even want to talk. I won't be ready for my tank for another year, at least, so i plan on keeping tabs on your progress. good luck!

Also, when i spoke to Chris he said that, they still offer a 3 year warranty if you have a licensed contractor build your stand a TEN year warranty if they do it... so the extra cost of the stand is really buying a warranty (which is always worth it when spending money like that)

Thought i had replied to this hours ago but the post isn't here... I'll try to remember what i said..

I spoke with Coast to Coast. And then i mentioned something about Marineland having a 250 gallon standard tank that was 60x36x27. Only 3 inches shy of your custom tank and i'm willing to bet it's way way way less expensive. Will from Aquatic Obsessions was just giving me prices on all tanks over 220 and he can order that one if you're looking.

My issue is getting it into my basement. My door is narrow and very limited on turning room at the bottom of the stairs. This really limits me on the size of the tank i can go with.

Steve