• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Corian/ quartz

Anyone got any experince with these artificial counter tops? There is little info on people using it with aquariums. I'm redoing the skin in my cabinet among other things and was thinking some stone looking material would look nice as a sill. Granite/quartz is porous, but if I seal it, I dunno how long the seal will actually last. Corian was recommended on some old posts, but as for long term durability, haven't seen anything.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Personal experience. installed a bathroom granite counter top that was sealed and it would show dark water stains when wet. After it dried out was fine. Took several coats of sealant but it still shows a little dark when wet but not as bad.

Thing is when salt gets into those pores, the piece will start degrading. Fresh water isn't as big a problem if it's not being used for food or anything health related.