• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY - 55/65 Gallon Tank stand

Hi guys I've been working on a stand for my 55G, and just posted what I have so far. Again this is a simple stand I've seem really nice looking stands from many members here but I'm not that good or a wood worker.

You can see the page here or:
http://www.celticland.com/diystand.htm

DIY 55/65 Gallon Aquarium Stand in Progress...
I wanted to build a stand for my 55G tank that could also fit a 65G, the stand that I currently have was made for a fresh water tank and it doesn't have the necessary room for a sump. I'm not really good at working with wood so this is definitely a beginner DIY and there are tons of other DIY stands that are better than this, but at least you can get an idea so you can start building your own.

plan.gif

This are the plans I made you can download as a PDF here:
http://www.celticland.com/SW/DIY Stand plans.pdf

img_3604_20d__2006_12_29.jpg

After I figured out the dimensions I wanted I bought the 7 2x4x8 and started cutting them to size

img_3606_20d__2006_12_29.jpg

I cut all the pieces by first taping the 2x4s together to insure they would be the same size, I used a
table saw which helped getting straight cuts.

img_3607_20d__2006_12_29.jpg

In this picture I aligned the front face of the stand and used 2x4s to align and leave space for
other pieces I would use later.

img_3608_20d__2006_12_29.jpg

Here the same pieces screwed, I also used wood glue.

img_3609_20d__2006_12_29.jpg

img_4039.jpg

Once the frame was completed I used 3/4" plywood to cover both the top and bottom of the stand, The top piece on ply wood was the exact size of the frame and was screwed/glued in the bottom was a trickier since I had to cut around the 2x4's.
I used 1x4 to wrap the front and sides of the top/bottom of the stand they cover the 2x4's.
On the sides I used 1/4" plywood, the right side panel is removable so I could fit the sump.

img_4040.jpg

I made the doors from 1/4" plywood and the edges from 1x2x1/4 cut at 45 degree angles. I cut them again while taped to make sure they were the same size.
I'm still working on this and will post more pictures once I'm finished.
TIPS:
Use the same type of wood, I used poplar for the 1x4s, door edges and the two vertical strips that you can see on the front and tried staining it but it came out really horrible the color didn't match the plywood top or sides. It was blotchy and just ugly I almost broke the thing down and gave up. I decided to paint the stand a wood color and by giving it a very thin coat a achieved the color that you can see on the picture I'm happy with it and will only clear coat it.

img_4050.jpg

img_4054.jpg

img_4055.jpg

....so after doing this stand I ended up buying a 72 Gallon Bow... so the stand is in use a TV cabinet in the basement....

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Very nice.....I know many that wish they could easily open the end of their stand for sump installation.

Couple of questions/comments, more for the benefit of others planing to build their own stand:

img_3607_20d__2006_12_29.jpg

Did you leave the 2 vertical 2x's (called cripples or jacks) shown that don't have any screws? (looks like you did but tough to tell after skinned) It doesnt seem to show in the plans and for the benefit of others I wanted to point out the importance of the jacks. The reason I'm asking is that if you didn't, the weight of the tank will be supported more by the screws shown that are already in, the butt ends of the hidden verticals and the skinning material. This won't be a problem as long as the skinning material is stout, i.e. 3/4" or better plywood. May never be a problem regardless, but then again...... 

It worries me when I see stands made where the horizontal pieces are attached to the face of the uprights with zip screws or even carriage bolts. And alot of stuff is built that way, even commercially available stuff. What your effectively doing is asking the screws to basically carry all the weight of the tank. Should they not be up to the job, the next support will be the butt ends of the verticals which isn't good either (point loading on the bottom of the tank and the floor). The construction of the uprights should be similar to that of a door or window header in your house which spreads the weight over a larger area reducing the chance of failure. 

plan.gif

In that picture they're just being used to help setup the "square". But they were glued and nailed later in the build. I also covered them with 1/4" x 4" poplar that was stained and sealed.

Those extra 6 supports definetly help support the tank. I was very surprised to see the stand that came with my 72 Bow, it looks like it can break any minute and weights 1/3 of this stand