• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY Sump

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
The last section will be the return. Does it matter the quantity of water it can hold in that section...larger quantity of water, or just enough width to accommodate the return pump

Mine is just large enough for me to pull out the return pump for maintenance. IMHO, Other than that, size doesn't really matter? Rather have a larger space for the other chambers, which for me is the chaeto, and at one point, a rack.

The last section will be the return. Does it matter the quantity of water it can hold in that section...larger quantity of water, or just enough width to accommodate the return pump

size does not mater. However. I really like as large a return section as possible simply because this is obviously the section that goes up and down a lot in water height. And having more volume there buys you more time in the case something goes wrong. Like auto top of stops

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
You want the return pump and enough space that you can get your hand in there and adjust it, or wiggle it about, without hitting a partition.
You also want to be able to mess with the ato if needed.
A simple adjustment or having to get your fingers under the return to pry a suction cup loose or trying to fine tune the ato, and compromising a wall, is about as pissy offed as it gets.

Your choice
In the one I did I have enough volume in that section so I can do a small(5%ish) WC if I need it without shutting down the system. I also like to have a bit more room as a piece of mind should the ATO malfunction(not turn on) or run out of water. I can run a few days before it would run dry. By then I'd know.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Here is an alternate thought based on my tank. When power goes off, that is the section that fills up with the overflow. Ideally, it should hold all the water that will flow down in a power loss without raising the sump (At least skimmer section) water level. Otherwise, when the power goes back on, your high sump water level may make your skimmer overflow like it does mine. In addition, I often have to unplug my ATO as the alarm keeps going off. The volume is so small that it is easy to raise the level too much at one shot. I made my return 4" wide (12" deep") . I had to. But it causes those problems as well as limited me on my return pump selection. A further problem is that when my sock fills up, based on my design, it changes the water level. If I unplug the ATO for too long, the sump level goes down and I start sending bubble back up to the display.

Here is an alternate thought based on my tank. When power goes off, that is the section that fills up with the overflow. Ideally, it should hold all the water that will flow down in a power loss without raising the sump (At least skimmer section) water level. Otherwise, when the power goes back on, your high sump water level may make your skimmer overflow like it does mine. In addition, I often have to unplug my ATO as the alarm keeps going off. The volume is so small that it is easy to raise the level too much at one shot. I made my return 4" wide (12" deep") . I had to. But it causes those problems as well as limited me on my return pump selection. A further problem is that when my sock fills up, based on my design, it changes the water level. If I unplug the ATO for too long, the sump level goes down and I start sending bubble back up to the display.

I sort of conquered the protein skimmer problem by utilizing two separate sumps. The protien skimmer and return pump are in separate tanks and return has zero effect on skimmer regardless of water level

DangerDave

NJRC Member

If you're using a controller, you can program around the water level for skimmer for additional piece of mind. My skimmer turns off when the return is off. It turns back on 5 minutes after the return has resumed operating.

That said, this is a good idea.

Dave

Just make sure the skimmer section is the deepest section in the sump and use a stand to bring skimmer up to optimal depth. This is common practice anyway.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk