• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

DIY Tank Covers

I've never had tank covers because my house was pretty drafty. I've gotten around to installing new windows and sealing up most holes and I'm noticing more evaporation as the house is warmer and I'm also noticing lots of humidity in the house. So A quick search online found this DIY solution that I thought I would share. The product is called SUNLITE, it sells currently at home depot for around $45 bucks and that will get you a 2x8 sheet. There are also 4x8 sheets but those have to be ordered online. This is basically a poly corrugated plastic sheathing that is used for greenhouses. Meaning light should travel right through and it is easy to cut since it is plastic. I used my table saw and a handheld metal grinder to cut pieces down to size and make notches. Right now I will just cover the tanks and not the sumps to see how much of a difference it makes. I am planning to probably do the sumps in the near future (next week maybe?). Guessing this will deal with my humidity problem and maybe I will not have to make water every week as well.

Thread can be moved if I have posted in the wrong section.

Last edited:
An early observation is that water is trapped in the channels. This is water that I used to flush the cuttings out. I will probably pull the covers off and trim them by an 1/8 of an inch. Rewash, let dry and use clear packing tape to seal off those channels on the two ends.

I could have, but no need Corals look just as happy. After all I am running an AP700 2 hydra 26’s and 4 T-5 bulbs.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
How easy are these to cut?