• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

do it yourself solaris hood

[ftp][/ftp]http://www.ashevillemarine.org/bb/viewtopic.php?t=621&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 found this the other day

Subliminal

NJRC Member
That's pretty friggin cool.

Of course, it looks like the cost to hook it up above most of your gargantua tanks would be excessive, to say the least!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
This looks like a fun DIY project to do.

Ham, how many bulbs in your 4' fixture? One thing I thought was interesting about that fixture is that the LEDs aren't spread evenly over the tank. I don't suppose that's noticable when you're looking at it, huh? Wonder what went into that thinking.

malulu

NJRC Member
ham,

this is so cool!!!
thx for sharing...

i am thinking to do one myself!!! a DYI meeting???

Wonder how much it would cost to make a 72" hood with these guys? It looks like the 72" solaris fixture has 150 LEDS 6 groups of 25. $$$

Ham,
You should bring your new Solaris to the meeting so we can take it apart and see how it's built ;)

the solares has 100 leds there are 4 squares with 25 leds each square has 25 blue 13 white and 2 green? got me anyway still tring to figure it out had some bleaching so i went to their site and they said to start out at 60% with the blue and white then increase slowly i also took it apart thought for $2000 they may have HIDE SOME MONEY IN THEIR lol

malulu

NJRC Member
we if do DYI, may be we don't need 100 LEDS, the links also address these are newer model with higher intensity...

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It just doesn't seem cost effective for a large DIY light fixture.

The cheapest bulbs this guy used were $7 a piece, if you're doing a 100 bulb system...that's 700 bucks, and you haven't even purchased anything else for it. Then he speaks about those actinic bulbs @ $24 a piece! That's nuts!!

I would love to try this, but there is no way I am spending close to 1000 bucks for a DIY.

i have some LED ballast here at work... I have been wanting to build a fixture myself for some time, since MACNA.. But the LEDs keep changing.. I am doing a job soon..

56366507.IMG_7620.jpg

I am changing the lighting on this building from 400w MHs to LEDS... They will be able to change the colors easier and less wattage consumption.. So i figure after this job is complete, I will know a lot more about LEDs.. I will keep everyone posted...

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Gotta love a guinney pig! Thanks, Billy. We'll sit tight and await your review!