• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Does this tang need a straight jacket??

Ok, it seems over night the yellow tang in the 90 bow front went insane.

The tang came with the tank, and had taken quite the beating from a former tank mate that the previous owner had just gotten rid of before selling me the tank. The "war damage" is still evident. However, he/she was healing nicely, and starting to show some fin regrowth, and eating heartily. Generally, both tangs come racing to the front of the glass and dance back and forth when they see me pick up a food container or the turkey baster.

Anyway, this afternoon I was watching the tank and noticed that the yellow tang is now hanging out in the bottom left front corner of the tank next to the clove polyps I relocated there to recover (maroon clown in the other tank decided to try and host it, another story entirely). At any rate, he/she seems to be "guarding" that corner, chasing anyone that comes near it away. He/she twitches, and stays close to the sand.

I put some food in to see what would happen, and he/she came racing across the tank and ate viciously like he/she always does, but when the food was gone, POOF! Right back to the corner.

I'm including a video of the behavior. Anyone ever see anything like this before? (BTW, the sideways floating thing was an attempt to get the cleaner goby to come out of the hole in that rock to clean, both tangs do that regularly, and the goby generally obliges, unless something more tasty is floating around his rock hole, I've been able to witness both tangs getting cleaned by the goby a few times)

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Well
Judging by the posture of your sailfin with the fins at attention and the way it hovers over the yellow I think the sailfin has made it know he is the boss and the yellow has been dominated in the tank.

I agree with Jim. I think the Yellow is scared of the sailfin. Sailfins can be a little agreesive.

How long have you had the yellow?

They both came with the tank. As far as I know, they have been together for a little over 3 years now. Normally, I'd agree, but they have been swimming together, feeding together, and generally getting along fine since I got the tank, and reportedly by the previous owner as well.

The odd thing is, its the yellow that is driving the salifin away from that corner, unless I feed the tank, then they all run around like maniacs that haven't been fed in a week.

I would get rid of one or the other (and really, a 90 is probably about 50 gallons too small for a Sailfin long term), in all honesty. Otherwise, the yellow is likely to die from the mental damage it's receiving.

And to add to the strangeness, they are both swimming around like normal now...bizarre...

I'm wondering if I missed a "battle" that may have taken place before I woke up...

Either way, the sail fin will eventually end up in the 180 once I "land" somewhere housewise and can set it up. Had it been my choice, I never would have put two tangs so similar in shape in the same tank anyway. At least not one that size.