• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Drilling for overflows???? PLEASE??

I think I found my 120!!!

But, the bottom is tempered, and it is not reef ready.

Can I drill overflows in the back?

And if so, can I get one of you fantastic super-stupendous glass drillin type dudes to help me out???

PLEASE??? ;D

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt..... can't drill tempered. It will shatter into itty bitty pieces.

If back is not tempered we can handle it.

I'll be helping out Phil with his tank, your more than welcome to bring yours (if you can) while I'm at it.

I am picking up a 120 and a 75 for $170!! (gotta figure out how to get it back from Allentown, though...) The guy isn't sure who makes the tank, but he knows the bottom is tempered. I'd rather avoid the hang on back overflow, but can do that if necessary.

I suppose there is no way to tell if the back is tempered, huh?

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So that's a tank and a sump! Cool.
Not sure how to tell is the glass is tempered without knowing who the manufacture and date then contacting them. Otherwise, if it shatters while drilling, its tempered.

RichTCheesy said:
So that's a tank and a sump! Cool.
Not sure how to tell is the glass is tempered without knowing who the manufacture and date then contacting them. Otherwise, if it shatters while drilling, its tempered.

hehe. Don't know if I'm going to go that big on the sump! Holy crap that's some serious water volume!

Now I'm a little scared of trying to drill it.... :( Wish I could figure out who makes the tank.

I guess if I have to go with hang on back overflows, it's still a good deal. I'd hate to blow the thing to shreds just to find out!

where are you at??, if you are somewhere between north and central north, i can help you getting the tank, i have a ford 250 with full bed, and im pretty strong i think, and i pm for and hob overflow

Gabe

Thanks Gabe. Appreciate the offer. I'm WAAAAAAAAAAAY down south. ;D I'm about 45 minutes west of atlantic city and about an hour south of Philly.

Allentown is about 2 to 2 1/2 hours from me (maybe 3 depending on traffic).

I THINK I can bum my dad's truck for the day, it will just murder me on gas. Chevy Z71 offroad.

nice truck, i want one like that, but wife will fight me on that one, so i have to be happy with what i have 8)

hehe. Yeah, it WAS a nice truck. It's about 17 years old now! Runs like a champ, but looks like hell in a hand basket! LOL! Plus, that giant V8 just sucks down the gas. Especially at $2.25 a gallon! OUCH!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There is a way to tell if the glass is temperd or not using polarized sunglasses. Unfortunately, I can't remember how to do it.

I can help pick up the tank if you want. I am getting my tank with a UHAL towing behind my SUV. Just let me know if you need a hand.

panmanmatt said:
There is a way to tell if the glass is temperd or not using polarized sunglasses. Unfortunately, I can't remember how to do it.

Bery interwesting... Hmm.. Will have to research that.

jazzsam said:
I can help pick up the tank if you want. I am getting my tank with a UHAL towing behind my SUV. Just let me know if you need a hand.

Thanks Jazz. Where are you located? I'm still not sure if I can get the tank on Sunday or will have to wait until next weekend. Still waiting for the guy to get back to me.

I will be picking up my tank on Saturday so I have Sunday open. I am in somerset NJ so Allentown is much closer to me than you but I was just down your way today at a meeting.

Ok, I found this on a website, anyone have some polarizing filters? ;D

Tempered glass
by K9AUB/aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000
In a message dated 4/17/2000 01:09:07 Pacific Daylight Time,
Aquatic-Plants-Owner@actwin.com writes:

> Typically, modern tempered
> glass is marked as such in a corner. Older tempered glass may not be. An
> experienced glass technician can tell by the "ring" of the glass if it is
> tempered by tapping it.

There is a more certain way. Take two photographic polarizing filters.
Sandwich them together. Rotate one of the filters. Light transmitted
through the filters will fade from lighter to completely blacked out as the
planes of the polarized material crosses through each other's axis. Now, try
the same thing with the piece of glass sandwiched between the two filters,
and rotate one of the filters. If the glass in untempered, the light
transmitted through the filters will act the same way, fading from lighter to
blacked out. If the glass IS tempered, an interesting phenomena will occur:
as the filters are rotated, a black cross will form through the filters.
It's an unmistakable sign: if the cross is there, the glass is tempered.

Also found this from aga:

http://www.all-glass.com/services/techinfo.shtml

Seems most tanks are aga or oceanic.

This is a response from oceanic:

Thank you for contacting Oceanic and for your interest in our products. At this time, the Nature's View and E-Series lines have tempered glass (55, 58, 75, 125), the bow front aquariums have tempered glass (46, 72, 90, 175), and the corner bow front aquariums have tempered glass (54 & 92). The Lizard Lounges also contain tempered glass, and some of our aquariums will be made with tempered glass in the future. If you have a specific aquarium in mind, please let me know. Also, please remember that drilling the aquarium voids the warranty. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.