• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dumping Hydra for radion

erics210

NJRC Member
I had several versions of LEDs and T5s in the past. I picked up some Hydra 26 from a NJRC member getting out of the hobby and have slowly swapped out all of my tanks for Hydra 26s.
LOVE the ease of control!
For my current tanks, they are doing great for my needs.

IF we end up moving in a few years, once the kids are done school, I will probably do a full fuire/moving sale and clear everything out and start out with all new equipemnt and probably go with a few Orpheks and call it a day.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Listen I am not going to beat up on t5 lights.
But this thread is about hydra vs eco tech

But it does offer an opinion and an option perhaps Mickey didn't consider.
I had 3 hydras in a T5 hybrid fixture (the one you bought from me, oddly enough).
When I turned off the Hydras and just ran the T5s I found the Hydra's to actually be washing out the T5s.
So, I went out and went full T5 for amazing growth and colors like nuts.

Saying that, the Hydras are pretty great lights on their own and, compared to others, the ease of use is impressive.

But it does offer an opinion and an option perhaps Mickey didn't consider.
I had 3 hydras in a T5 hybrid fixture (the one you bought from me, oddly enough).
When I turned off the Hydras and just ran the T5s I found the Hydra's to actually be washing out the T5s.
So, I went out and went full T5 for amazing growth and colors like nuts.

Saying that, the Hydras are pretty great lights on their own and, compared to others, the ease of use is impressive.
I like hydras and t5s

I liked my hydra 26. Just had to add a diffuser. The individual channels were interesting and took time to fig out a spectrum blend. When I bought the Red Sea reefer I opted for the Red Sea 90 lights x 2. They had good review from BRS. Reminded me of MH. I just had to choose a K rating in this case 15k, 20, 23k. and then put on the intensity for my necessary photoperiod. I use the 15k setting. They are on redsea mounts and I’m able to grow SPS on top, lps on the sand as well as my clam. So I’m happy.

I have Hydras and Radions. Radions have a more polished app and seem more popular these days, but the Hydras do the job perfectly fine and cost significantly less. I don't think you'll notice any significantly improved performance with Radions, and none of the LEDs alone would totally replace T5s.