• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dusky jawfish

I have 3 dusky jawfish in my 90 gallon and noticed a few weeks ago that two of them had paired up. Looking at the tank today the one is holding eggs in its mouth, what's the likelyhood of them hatching

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Depends on if the male gets hungry. The issue with mouth brooders is that sometimes they will just swallow the whole clutch. Barring that, you probably have a really good chance of them hatching, collection and raising them is a whole different thing.

Still has the eggs ,you can actually see small eyes in them. I'm hoping to catch the fry with a turkey baster once they hatch

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I do not know anything about raising jawfish fry, but I’ve got to believe you’ll need some very small food source when they hatch….something like rotifers. If you don’t have a colony already going, I’m thinking you’re in trouble.

Looks just like that pic mark. I don't have any rotifers so I'm going to try try some reef chili if I catch any once they hatch. Wish I was able to get a clear shot to post.

Looks just like that pic mark. I don't have any rotifers so I'm going to try try some reef chili if I catch any once they hatch. Wish I was able to get a clear shot to post.

Best of luck...if you go to reef central they have some great info on raising marine fish like clowns and cardinals. They talk about the different fry foods needed etc. This batch might not work out, but if you prepare you might get another shot in the future.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We just bought a larval trap not to long ago, which is probably the best way to get the larvae. Most larvae hatch well after the lights are out in your tank, so it is going to be very difficult for you to try and catch them with a turkey baster. As other have said above, tiny larvae need tiny live food to survive, they are going to have no idea what reef chili is. If you are really interested in raising them check:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great link Mike! That site is chock full of great info.

Good luck with the Jawfish. Would love to see them if they make it.

Well I didn't catch this hatch but they are already spawning another batch believe it or not. Weather or not the male ate the eggs or they hatched without me noticing this time I'm going to feed the male like crazy to try and better my odds