• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dying from the bottom up?

Does anyone have any ideas why my SPS would die from the bottom up? It still polups out on the living parts but the bottom near the plug is dying going up. I thought this was just because of being put on the plug but it continues to go up the frag. There are a few frags that this is happening on. Do they need more light and that is why they would do this? I can run a full set of tests tonight on the tank but I just wanted a direction to go in first.

Sometimes the part of the coral that isn't getting light will die off. But if it's bleaching or turning white I would cut the tops and try and save the coral.

NapoliNewJersey said:
Sometimes the part of the coral that isn't getting light will die off. But if it's bleaching or turning white I would cut the tops and try and save the coral.

I tried that with a Stylo and all the frags did the same thing as the colony. They just started from the bottom and bleached out.

Maybe more light then? When you frag them make a frag rack and try putting a frag or two really close to the top. I'm not really sure. And I saw this thread this afternoon and I thought with all the SPS heads on here you would have had an answer. I still feel I'm really new with SPS but I've had some start doing the same thing and I fraged them and moved them way way up in the tank and now they are doing ok.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Flow, nitrates, PO4. I'd check those and make sure they're all within reason.

Phyl said:
Flow, nitrates, PO4. I'd check those and make sure they're all within reason.

I think it may be the nitrates. I guess I will really not know more until I do a few water changes and keep a close eye on things.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If your nitrates at 50 are in this tank, you need to fix that first and foremost. 3-4 50% water changes will get you back in line quickly. Otherwise it is going to be a long slow road to recovery.

With sps types like you mentioned I wouldn't want nitrates any higher then 5 ppm and really would want them to register zero on a hobby test kit. Same with phosphates. Either of these being elevated is going to cause you problems.

Another thing to watch is alk level. Try and keep it right around 8.5 give or take 1 dKH. Don't allow the alk to rise/fall more then 1 dKH per day as that will cause you RTNing on many sps frags.

Carlo

First 30% water change and I am down to 25PPM Nitrates and I am preparing water for the next one. I hope to get them down with water changes every other day but my problem is making that much RO water takes a long time. I am not a patient person when it comes to things like this.

Well, your at the mercy of your RO/DI unit so you can't go faster then it will allow. :) Look at it this way, your nitrates are moving in the right direction!

Honestly, you're probably better off going at the pace you have to go at due to the RO/DI unit. Sudden drops of nitrates and phosphates aren't good either so you're bringing them down at a steady but mostly even pace.

Hopefully, that makes you feel better!

Carlo

hayabusa2003 said:
Do you know what caused your nitrates to get so high? Was it neglected water changes?

I think it was from feeding my corals....... I used to try and feed the corals with silversides, clam, and squid but the fish would always take the food and then I would feed more and more and more...... The fish would not eat much of the food but just enough so I think that is what did it. I now have new methods of feeding my LPS so this "should" not happen again.

harryk said:
did it affect any other corals besides the SPS. Did any of your LPS get affected?

Harry

Actually all the LPS looked great but after getting things in more of an order they are opening bigger than they ever have before.

newly salted said:
Not trying to change the topic but what is your new method of feeding your LPS?

I use a bottle or something to cover the coral while it east what I give it. I also try not to overfeed the corals becasue they will just throw up what they do not eat.

Sam they figured out that it's from a swing in ALK and Mag. Check your ALK. The guy on Club-zoa had his ALK at 7. Which someone else said was dangerously low for SPS. Hope that's it and you can fix it.

Thanks, I have been out of town since the first of the year so I have not had a chance to keep up to date with things. I just got back so I will have an update soon I hope.