• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Engineer goby

I have had a couple of hermit crabs and snails in my tank ever since I got it along with my foot long engineer goby. I went to my lfs the other day and got a couple of blue legged hermit crabs that were pretty small and when I put them in my tank my goby came out of his hut and grabbed one and went right back into his hut! About 20 seconds later he came out and grabbed another:eek: I wanted to order a clean up crew from reef cleaners but I was worried that this would happen again. Is there any way to get around this? Do you think this would happen again if I got a bunch at once or do you think it would be a long lasting supply of food for my goby?
Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks,
Andrew

falconut

NJRC Member
He may just be using them to build his shelter. I had a pinkspot goby that used do the same thing, but I couldn't tell if he was eating them either. You could try dropping in some empty shells to see if he grabs them too. If so, he's probably just using them for his shelter.

That might be possible. Obviously im not a fish and dont know they are thinking but would he still be trying to make a shelter if he uses the whole surface of the bottom of the tank underneath the rock as a home? Ill try to find a shell and see if he does the same. mattez I like that idea a lot but i dont know how I would do that since they are getting shipped to me.

falconut

NJRC Member
My Jawfish still grabs empty shells from time to time to use around the opening of his entrance. I'd imagine an engineer might do the same.

Thank you for the ideas. I just ordered a clean up crew and I am going to place them on the rocks and at night and hope for the best.