• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

ETSS skimmer question??

I recently purchased an etss reef devil skimmer from a fellow reefer, when it arrived in the mail, the clear neck that the colection cup sits on had been snapped off of the base. now i want to know if its okay to just glue it back on?? also what type of glue to use? do you think i run the risk of leaks, especially since i plan on using it externally?? kinda frustrated that i spent the money on it, and it was delivered to be broken!! any advice would be great..

ouch - sorry to hear that.

Is it possible to ask for your money back - for all you know it was broken before it was even mailed?

I guess glue might work - but saltwater is corrosive and I don't know how long that would work.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
You can contact ETSS directly and talk to Gary,he sells the glue they use to build them or if your close enough he's in Beacon NY you could take it to him and they would fix it.Nice shop to take a tour of.

hey man, you know thats really funny because when i bought my turboflotor from a fellow reefer it also arrived in the mail broken. one of the rizer tubes was completely shattered. i spoke to the guy who sold it to me and he assured me that the skimmer was intact when he mailed it. i also believe him because the pictures he posted before i bought it showed no signs of damage. lemme guess UPS shipped it? i was very mad :mad: and contacted ups and they said since it wasnt insured they could do nothin. so i got a sheet of plastic and used aquarium silicone and made a pretty good patch job. its held up ever since. i dont use ups anymore.

yea, those parts are made of acrylic. i agree with jason, get weldon 16 or weldon 4 to re-melt those parts together. they actually fuse together kinda like using MEK on PVC pipes. repair it using this type of acrylic solvent ("glue") and it will be stronger than new.

ii had the same skimmer i bought it form ebay they shiped via USPS & the same part was broken i contac USPS & it was to much BS, got me some weld on 16 & fixed it up never leaked, that was my first weldon patch. it's not just UPS the USPS sucks 2.

steve68 said:
ii had the same skimmer i bought it form ebay they shiped via USPS & the same part was broken i contac USPS & it was to much BS, got me some weld on 16 & fixed it up never leaked, that was my first weldon patch. it's not just UPS the USPS sucks 2.
Steve
were you happy with the reef devil? not sure if i did or doing something wrong but ive been having problems with mine/ especially after i feed it takes a long time to recover. sorrym didnt mean to hijack this thread.

No Pete i was not happy with it, it just never skimed well for me i put 3 diferent pumps on it & could not get it to skim good.
JME

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
i've used weldon on a skimmer. its still worings 15 years later

thanks for all the replys, ive been away just got a chance to look at it. Yea it was shipped usps and was packagedd well.. cant figure it out! really frustrating because it was my first purchase without ever seeing it in person. It was pictures that i went by and couldnt see any proglems at all.. Anyways i contacted Gary at AE Tech in Beacon NY.. he said its fixable and that if i bring it to him he will do it for me.. Its an hour and half drive for me but i think its worth it since i want to use it externally i dont want to worry about leaks!!

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
RG81 said:
thanks for all the replys, ive been away just got a chance to look at it. Yea it was shipped usps and was packagedd well.. cant figure it out! really frustrating because it was my first purchase without ever seeing it in person. It was pictures that i went by and couldnt see any proglems at all.. Anyways i contacted Gary at AE Tech in Beacon NY.. he said its fixable and that if i bring it to him he will do it for me.. Its an hour and half drive for me but i think its worth it since i want to use it externally i dont want to worry about leaks!!

It's well worth the trip up there but be for-warned Gary loves to talk....Wait till you see his reef system in the shop it's INSANE...And lots of other skimmers and sumps and reactors to look at while you wait.