• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Euphyllia White Bugs

I'm currently dealing with what I think to be Euphyllia White Bugs. I've looked all over the place and there's very little to no information on it. So I'm making this thread to add some information on how I'm going to try to treat it in case anyone ever has to deal with it on their own.

Symptoms: coral has been slowly declining in health. Half of the coral seems more affected than the other half. Tentacles shrink. It's a slow process. This Frammer declined over the course of about 2 months to get to this state. Once it's completely shriveled up, it wastes away until there's nothing left. Upon closer inspection i saw what looks like small white spots all over the tentacles of the coral (kinda like salt). If you look for long enough, you'll see them move. This will affect every euphyllia in the tank at different rates. From my experience, hammers are the first to go and the quickest to decline in health compared to frogspawns and frammers. Although not by much.

Attachments

• 20210914_205257.jpg
    20210914_205257.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210922_232214.jpg
    20210922_232214.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210923-114110_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210923-114110_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
From my own research, dips don't seem to do anything to them. So i imagine the only way to prevent adding them to the tank is a separate coral qt. The only thing that people suggest to treat is Dr. Gs dip or Interceptor.
The key ingredient is Milbemycin Oxime.

I spoke with a representative at Dr. G's and their dip no longer has Milbemycin on it. It used to, but they changed the formula. So unless you can find an older bottle, i wouldn't go that route as it's missing the key ingredient to get rid of these parasites.
(If you're looking for an older bottle, make sure it says Milbemycin in it instead of "Proprietary Formula" )

This leaves Interceptor. Interceptor is a anti parasitic for dogs. And you'll need a vet prescription for it.
I went to the Red Bank Vet Hospital to speak to someone there (they have a huge reef tank so i figured they might hear me out). First i spoke with a front desk person who brushed me off and basically told me no. But then i went to the pharmacy and spoke with the pharmacist who helped me make a phone appointment with the exotic pets vet. I spoke with Dr. Knafo who knew exactly what I was talking about which was great. She basically confirmed everything I told her and understood that Interceptor is the only thing that people have had SOME success with. She wrote me a prescription.
You need to specify to the Vet that you need the big dog prescription. I think it's 23g. For 51-100 lb dogs. And make sure it's regular Interceptor and not Interceptor plus as that contains Prazi.

Me and Dr. Knafo came up with a game plan of treating like this:
I'm going to pull all Euphyllia out of the tank.
(Some people have had luck treating in tank. There is however a high chance the medicine will kill inverts. And i love my clams so I will not be going this route)
I am buying an AIO 3g tank from PetSmart specifically for this. I have an extra Prime 16hd I'll be setting up with it as well. The idea is to use old tank water and have the corals open up before treating so that it can reach as much of the bugs as possible. I will then crush one tablet and mix in a separate container with some RODI. Mix until it's as clean as it will get and then add to tank.
Leave the medicine in for 2 hours and then do a water change and run carbon. I will be closely monitoring the corals during this time to avoid any serious damage along with seeing if the treatment is effective.

Will repeat treatment if i continue to see the White bugs.

Me and Dr. Knafo came up with a game plan of treating like this:
I'm going to pull all Euphyllia out of the tank.
(Some people have had luck treating in tank. There is however a high chance the medicine will kill inverts. And i love my clams so I will not be going this route)
I am buying an AIO 3g tank from PetSmart specifically for this. I have an extra Prime 16hd I'll be setting up with it as well. The idea is to use old tank water and have the corals open up before treating so that it can reach as much of the bugs as possible. I will then crush one tablet and mix in a separate container with some RODI. Mix until it's as clean as it will get and then add to tank.
Leave the medicine in for 2 hours and then do a water change and run carbon. I will be closely monitoring the corals during this time to avoid any serious damage along with seeing if the treatment is effective.

Will repeat treatment if i continue to see the White bugs.
In theory that's great and all but if you have any of those bugs that are on the rock and not the Euphyllia then it becomes a problem again. Not trying to make things difficult for you just making sure you are aware of all situations that may arise.

In theory that's great and all but if you have any of those bugs that are on the rock and not the Euphyllia then it becomes a problem again. Not trying to make things difficult for you just making sure you are aware of all situations that may arise.
That's what the second tank is for. To qt the euphyllia for a while.

eholceker

NJRC Member
That's what the second tank is for. To qt the euphyllia for a while.

That's a bad idea. The bugs are in your tank and treating the euphyllia outside won't rid then from your display. The bugs will not just die off like flatworms. You are going to have to treat the display. Fortunately interceptor has no impact on clams. Not even at 10× the standard redbug dosage. You also want to leave the medicine in for atleast 12 hours. 2 hours won't do anything.

eholceker

NJRC Member
Where are you getting this from? Bc nowhere I've read has said it's safe for clams or inverts. The exact opposite actually.
Where are you getting it kills clams, haha? It only kills shelled inverts like crabs, shrimps, and pods. Won't do anything to clams, snails, etc.

Where are you getting it kills clams, haha? It only kills shelled inverts like crabs, shrimps, and pods. Won't do anything to clams, snails, etc.
Some threads on R2R. Older threats on older forums. It's not something that theres much info on. Where did you read this? Can you link it for me so i can read up on it? Like i said, i can't find much info on euphyllia white bugs and how to treat them

eholceker

NJRC Member
Some threads on R2R. Older threats on older forums. It's not something that theres much info on. Where did you read this? Can you link it for me so i can read up on it? Like i said, i can't find much info on euphyllia white bugs and how to treat them
They are just a pod. Same as a white, black, red, bug. You can syringe one up and look at it under a microscope. Dr. Knafo should know that it doesn't impact clams. The drug works by shutting down their nervous system. Clams have no nervous system. You can search on reef2reef. Zero issues with clams. Just dose it and be done. Use your qt tank you got to house any shrimp and hermit crabs you have. It will most certainly kill them.