• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Exoctic Pets in Jackson

Never once had a bad experience there, sure the store is small and crowded but Allen the owner is a really nice guy extremely helpful and will order just about anything you could be looking for. The prices are reasonable and he usually has in some of the harder to find live foods. Salt water is not Major leagues focus in general but the owner is starting to push more in the direction as more people go to him, The club has expressed some interest in making him a sponsor and Allen has expressed interest in getting involved with the club and is working on trying to set up a meeting to host.
In general not everyone will like a place, in fact some will hate a place while others will love it, prehapes we would be better off using constructive criticism to better the few places that sell salt water then just to be all out negative.

Are we not free to express our "Retail Experience". You only want good reviews?
No that's not what I was saying, my point was to just say it sucks .. Doesn't help kake it better. A while back I had a problem with ACC .. I voiced it half the club came to the aid of ACC saying it was a sponsor so we shouldnt talk bad about it, so I used some constructive criticism and guess what ACC saw it changed there policies and made the store better. My point is if we express the issues in a constructive matter we get better results

My post wasn't designed to help the store fix its problems but tell fellow members what to expect or warn them if they were planning a long trip.. I stand by what I said...

Sorry to hear. I like the place, have had success with their stock and my kids love checking out the variety of other pets they sell there too. Many of the staff aren’t saltwater knowledgeable but I appreciate that nobody’s trying the hard sell there and they don’t pretend to know what they don’t know. That said, the owner knows his stuff and is happy to share.
For this area you may want to consider Petco in brick-Andrew knows his stuff and they have good selection and stock, great prices too.
Those two and aquatic obsessions are my go-to places.

And that's fine I guess if you are happy with limited options and not trying to better the few we have. I am not telling you to change your opinion or even trying to make your opinion invalid I am offering an option to help educate are vendors so we have more options and better vendors if your one of those people that's happy to point out faults in others but not try and help fix the issues then well to be honest since we are all entitled to our own opinions then in my opinion your holding the club and the hobby back

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
No that's not what I was saying, my point was to just say it sucks .. Doesn't help kake it better. A while back I had a problem with ACC .. I voiced it half the club came to the aid of ACC saying it was a sponsor so we shouldnt talk bad about it, so I used some constructive criticism and guess what ACC saw it changed there policies and made the store better. My point is if we express the issues in a constructive matter we get better results
I think you may have misread or misinterpreted that thread if that’s how you feel.

I think you may have misread or misinterpreted that thread if that’s how you feel.
Not sure what part you are referring to in that thread. I am assuming its the part about certain members defending the sponsor. Maybe I was harsh in saying half the club.. Or to absolute in my statement about not wanting to say anything bad about the sponsor .. I can see that misleading so I will clarify a large point of the arguement in that thread was they were a good a sponsor to the club in the past so it seemed that it should negate the fact that I had a had experience . The thread later turn into constructive criticism and in response ACC made changes my next experience was great . hope that clears it up

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Stopped in the place a few times in the last month for the first time.Allen knows this stuff. Place isn't the cleanest place I've been to. He probably has 100 or more reptiles and birds.The smell didn't bother me. I didn't even notice a smell.
Anyway about his fish fresh and salt.I've bought fish in a lot of stores over the last 30+ years. I wouldn't hesitate buying a fish from there. As healthy as they come.Store might not be clean but the tanks are. And that's the first thing I noticed
ever time I was there. He had a nice amount of fish to. Not a lot of dry goods. Stuff to get someone started in the hobby.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Stopped in the place a few times in the last month for the first time.Allen knows this stuff. Place isn't the cleanest place I've been to. He probably has 100 or more reptiles and birds.The smell didn't bother me. I didn't even notice a smell.
Anyway about his fish fresh and salt.I've bought fish in a lot of stores over the last 30+ years. I wouldn't hesitate buying a fish from there. As healthy as they come.Store might not be clean but the tanks are. And that's the first thing I noticed
ever time I was there. He had a nice amount of fish to. Not a lot of dry goods. Stuff to get someone started in the hobby.

How is everything going?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
What is important to me is the care of the fish/animals. A tank that has healthy fish and corals is what I am looking for. Example: I have walked into a store, saw on different visits, 5+ large aiptasia in different tanks which aren't linked together. They couldn't take the time to clean them up. Exotic Pets in ok in my book & I will go back.