• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

family interest

:eek: ever since i have gotten my fish tank my family has taken a liken to it. my father keeps asking me what fish he could buy for it and he is set on buying the coolest fish possiably after seeing my green mandrian. i told him maybe a powder blue tang or blonde naso tang. but what could he buy that look colorful and is reef safe? gem tang or purple tang?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Your choices for a 75 are limited. Be sure to use Live Aquaria's site to help you narrow down what you could safely buy for a 75 and then shop around until you find the perfect one. You won't get a whole lot of fish in there (and I'd recommend AT MOST one tang).

Is your mandarin eating prepared foods? If not I'd probably be supplementing the pod population until he did.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
My favorite small fish of all time is the Dwarf Angel. I believe it is reef safe as I have had no issues.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There are lots of beautiful dwarf angels that are quite reef safe, with my favorites being the Bellus angels.

my mandrian is eating live pods. i got a good supply of them for him he loving them but it been hard getting him to eat frozen. and i def look in to the dwarf angels thanks a bunch

mellowyellow4lyf said:
gem tang or purple tang?

a gem tang will run you more money than a down payment on a car these days...assuming someone even has one to sell to your father.

How about picking up a book first on fish - like fenner's conscientious marine aquarist? Maybe they have one at your local library (or local fish store) to browse.

Flame angels are supposed to be reefsafe and are one of the most colorful fish for there size.

momof6kids

NJRC Member
REEFLECTIONS said:
i as a rule discourage anyone from buying anything for my tank.... all it takes is one incompatible "gift" to screw it all up....

Like the time my daughter went and bought me a panther grouper because he was soooo cute and graceful. I lasted 3 months and I took him back to the store. ;D

potters angels are probably the prettiest next to the flame angels, and provided they are the only dwarf angel in the tank are rather peaceful, and i happen to have one for sale ;)

REEFLECTIONS said:
potters angels are probably the prettiest next to the flame angels, and provided they are the only dwarf angel in the tank are rather peaceful, and i happen to have one for sale ;)

Usually fairly reef safe as well.

I currently have a flame that "was" reef safe,then one day...well several mnths later,he has eaten more than 3x's his worth in corals :'(