• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

feeding newly intorduced anthias?

i picked up 3 purple queen anthias the other day from a LFS. Since i've had them in the tank they havent eaten. I've tired to feed more often thinking that maybe they would just grab something but no luck. Anyone know a trick to try and get these guys to eat? I've only been feeding them mysis.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cyclo-peeze tends to encourage a feeding response, and I've also heard that tiger pods are a good thing to help out with feeding. Certainly increasing your pod population can only be a good thing while you get them eating. Good luck with them. Hard species to get feeding, but they'll get going for you.

Jabis - there is a sponsors link you could check out - and also some of them have boards here. I think AquaticObsessions is great as well but there may be other stores near you that can supply it.

Besides that I am told adding something like garlic may also help trigger a feeding response. Did you observe the fish eating at the store before purchasing?

AO is only 10 mins from my house so i'll stop by there tomarrow. I did add garlic today but there wasnt much of a response. They were not eating at the store thats why i got such a good deal 3 for $30.00 i figured if they were just going to die there i might as well try and get them to eat in my tank.

oh duh - I didn't read the sig on your post to see where you are located.

you got 3 anthias from a LFS that wasn't feeding eh? Chancy bet that is. Hopefully it works out. This isn't meant as a "flame" - but might want to ask the LFS to hold the fist in the future - and/or set up a QT for the fish. Maybe you did that and didn't mention it - if so - ignore what I wrote.

Just thinking one of the biggest heart-aches in keeping SW fish is the inevitable loss and you set yourself up for more heartaches without QT'ing or going to a trustworthy LFS.

Again not meant as a flame - I am hoping you construe it as just "notes for the future".

let us know how it goes. Oh and if you were a member of NJRC - AO would provide a discount...

i understand what your saying i just didn't wanna see them die in there lol. Right now they seem to be doing ok there becoming more active swimming more i tried some cyclopeze this morning but i couldn't sit and watch them if they ate i had to go to work. I'll continue to post on the thread and let you know how there doing. As far as the reef membership I haven't gotten around to filling out the form and sending the 12 bucks in. i will one day maybe tonight lol.

well i picked up the tigger pods mixed up some mysis cyclopeze and the pods this morning and still no luck on these guys eating al though they began to swim vertical now. I did read the other day on Blue Zoo Aquatics that purple queens are planktavore's. Any one know if thats true?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Our anthias (Thompsoni's) swim vertically too. It's the strangest thing! It may not be a bad sign for your Queens to be doing it too. They are supposed to be buggers to get to eat.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I'll just add one more vote to PQ's being tough to get eating. From my experience, they aren't the biggest species of fish and seemed instantly intimidated by the only other fish in the tank at the time. So I think your success will depend on what other inhabitants are in the tank. Frozen cyclopeeze is usually readily accepted, and adding smaller mysis like the Hikari cubes should work. Good water movement is critical too as these guys won't take anything off the bottom. It has to be moving through the water column. To make amtters worse, the specimens I've seen in LFS just look like they've been in the supply chain too long and seem really stressed. Somehow, they are often a lot cheaper than most other Anthias. That I can't figure out.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Most of the anthias that are being sold as Purple "Queen" anthias are actually purple anthias. A prettier, much less shy, easier to get feeding species (IME). The Purple Anthias have an orange racing stripe down the backs of the females. Very pretty. They're the ones the Red Sand has in their display tank (among others).

coralnut99 said:
I'll just add one more vote to PQ's being tough to get eating. From my experience, they aren't the biggest species of fish and seemed instantly intimidated by the only other fish in the tank at the time. So I think your success will depend on what other inhabitants are in the tank. Frozen cyclopeeze is usually readily accepted, and adding smaller mysis like the Hikari cubes should work. Good water movement is critical too as these guys won't take anything off the bottom. It has to be moving through the water column. To make amtters worse, the specimens I've seen in LFS just look like they've been in the supply chain too long and seem really stressed. Somehow, they are often a lot cheaper than most other Anthias. That I can't figure out.

They're common in the ocean and usually don't last too long. Gotta make the price appetizing in order to move them through the chain.