• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Film On top of the Water

So my 10 gal has been up for about a week and I noticed there is a film on the top of the water and I'm wondering what to do about it. Just tested the water and everything seems normal. The film seems to create bubbles and it really annoys me. What can I do to get rid of the film?

Josh

Nitrates-0
Nitrites-0
Ammonia-0
pH-8.2

IMG-20120721-01436.jpg

It seems to me that you might need some top water movement you can point a blower forwards the top to move some water around up there I had a problem like that to and that worked great

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Most nanos run into this issue, the easiest and cheapest way to deal with it is an air bubbler. It will break the surface tension and also helps the tank, you can pick them up anywhere.

I guess I need to get a power jet or something along those lines that wont cause a sand storm in such a small tank.

Go get yourself one or two of the koralia nano as suggested above. They can be had pretty cheap. Check eBay. I have one koralia 425 in my sons 10 gal. Works great. Until then when you do the water change just use a plastic cup and push it down into the water. Open end up. When the open end get to the water level it will skim only from the surface. Pulling out all the crap.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
If you are worried about a sand storm and room, get an air bubbler. They are small cheap and will keep your surface clear. I run one in my 12g and it does the job perfectly.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
jgraz: yes just an airstone and an air pump, maybe I was saying the wrong thing.

ThatGuy: IIRC you have is covered so no.