• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Fish Tunnel

that tunnel is crazy - reminds me of the tunnels you see in that chain restaurant - RainForestCafe - where they have the two vertical tubes connected.

Are you thinking of 2 tanks side by side - making an 8 foot long tank? Or 2 55s back to back - basically making the width 26" instead of the usual 13? If it's the latter - you should just get a 120. ;)

The image in my head is side by side. Yes, I could just get a 120 but then it would be like every other 120. LOL IMO, with the tunnel, people would walk into the house and be more amazed because it's something you don't see every day. It's just a thought that will probably never happen. Besides, to be plausible, you would need at least a 5" diameter hole cut in both tanks. Who wants to do that?? ;)

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Then you have the problem of trying to bond glass and acrylic together in a structural manner. You would either need to use a glass tube or use acrylic tanks.

Then comes the issue of getting flow through the tube. You would basically need to have an overflow in one tank and the return in the other and have the tube act as an equalizer to keep the water levels even.

in the link with the tube higher than the tank, how do you keep the water in the tube and not overflowing the tanks. Seems to me the tube needs to be lower than the top of the tank.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
BobCReef said:
in the link with the tube higher than the tank, how do you keep the water in the tube and not overflowing the tanks. Seems to me the tube needs to be lower than the top of the tank.
Bob

The article mentioned using a vacuum pump to pull the water up the tubes. Nice flood when the pump dies.

Bob

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Continue searching...there is a DIY article of a guy who used clear acrylic pipe to “bridge” two tanks.  Was considering this about six months ago.  No actual contact with the glass.  The piping just runs from one tank to the other, above the water line.  As mentioned, you need to evacuate the air from the line.  Once done, you’ve got a water bridge from one to the other.  Pretty cool!

EDITTED TO ADD: Found the link for the water bridge:
http://www.bio-elite.com/waterbridge.htm

redfishbluefish said:
Continue searching...there is a DIY article of a guy who used clear acrylic pipe to “bridge” two tanks. Was considering this about six months ago. No actual contact with the glass. The piping just runs from one tank to the other, above the water line. As mentioned, you need to evacuate the air from the line. Once done, you’ve got a water bridge from one to the other. Pretty cool!

EDITTED TO ADD: Found the link for the water bridge:
http://www.bio-elite.com/waterbridge.htm

Thanks for that link!!

malulu

NJRC Member
no flood... all you need is a BIGGER SUMP... and don't run it full...
;)

magic said:
The article mentioned using a vacuum pump to pull the water up the tubes. Nice flood when the pump dies.

Bob