• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Forest Fires effecting air for protein skimmer

EZreefin

NJRC Member
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but I figured it had to do with equipment.

I Live in Brick and I'm experiencing heavy smoke in the Air to the point it looks like fog and smells like a Bonfire. I am keeping track of the air quality postings online as well and for the next couple of days they don't look good.

The reason I am posting this is to ask the reefing community if anyone besides myself is concerned about their protein skimmers that have an air intake line that is ran to the outside of the house to draw in fresh air?

I ended up taking the hose off to be safe and my PH dropped to 7.9. it is usually around 8.1 to 8.2. I already dose kalk every 2 hours and 2 part at night. I want to put the hose back on but I'm concerned about the particles or what ever is in the air getting into my tank.

Is it just me or am I being too cautious?

I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but I figured it had to do with equipment.

I Live in Brick and I'm experiencing heavy smoke in the Air to the point it looks like fog and smells like a Bonfire. I am keeping track of the air quality postings online as well and for the next couple of days they don't look good.

The reason I am posting this is to ask the reefing community if anyone besides myself is concerned about their protein skimmers that have an air intake line that is ran to the outside of the house to draw in fresh air?

I ended up taking the hose off to be safe and my PH dropped to 7.9. it is usually around 8.1 to 8.2. I already dose kalk every 2 hours and 2 part at night. I want to put the hose back on but I'm concerned about the particles or what ever is in the air getting into my tank.

Is it just me or am I being too cautious?
I have a pvc pipe with some end caps. I use as a filter. Carbon and floss. Changed it out yesterday. Not too worried

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I have air exchange in my basement and I turned it off. I don’t want to bring that outside air inside my house.

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Luckily mine doesn't go outside the house but did close all my windows yesterday because of the air quality. Have not checked PH yet though.

EZreefin

NJRC Member
When I woke up this morning my PH was at 7.8-7.9!. It has never been that low. Before I left for work I put the air intake tube back in on my skimmer and went outside to put a home made
carbon filter on the intake.

I put filter pads on the top and bottom along with carbon in the tube to help catch anything before it enters my air intake. I would like to thank Rjmul for the idea.

the air doesn't seem as bad as yesterday, but it's still early and time will tell. Hopefully when I get home the PH will go up to the normal range for my tank.

Attachments

• PXL_20230608_101737837.jpg
    PXL_20230608_101737837.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230608_101838103.jpg
    PXL_20230608_101838103.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230608_101823271.jpg
    PXL_20230608_101823271.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
This is the lowest my ph has ever been.
But I also took running my tanks with no skimmer at this time.

Attachments

• 9DC5877E-8B2F-4BAF-8E26-2B54E683E5EE.png
    9DC5877E-8B2F-4BAF-8E26-2B54E683E5EE.png
    198.5 KB · Views: 2
When I woke up this morning my PH was at 7.8-7.9!. It has never been that low. Before I left for work I put the air intake tube back in on my skimmer and went outside to put a home made
carbon filter on the intake.

I put filter pads on the top and bottom along with carbon in the tube to help catch anything before it enters my air intake. I would like to thank Rjmul for the idea.

the air doesn't seem as bad as yesterday, but it's still early and time will tell. Hopefully when I get home the PH will go up to the normal range for my tank.
I have no way of proving that this does anything. I'm not sure what micron size of the stuff is in the air vs the micron size of yours or my Floss, but it makes me feel better and that's what 50% of reefing is.