• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Frag swap raffle tank

As the subject states...I won the 90 gallon raffle tank donated by ken!!! I have been wanting to upgrade for some time now and was fortunate enough to Win this setup. I was asked to put up some build pictures, so here goes nothing! I warn you though this is not going to be a quick build. I really want to take my time and choose the best equipment and options for my setup. I have my first question to start off my build. What can I use to clean off all of the corraline from the overflow. I have been using water and a razor blade to scrape off the the build up on the glass. Any other suggestions for cleaning the glass? I'm kind of afraid of scratching it. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416579.789788.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416579.789788.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 44
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416628.893890.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416628.893890.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 41
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416643.808040.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416643.808040.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 38
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416658.810286.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416658.810286.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 34
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416672.341816.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321416672.341816.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 35

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I would try filling the tank with fresh water and distilled vinegar. That's what I use for cleaning my power heads and pumps. Just an idea

malulu

NJRC Member
you can get about TWO Vinegar bottle (2 Gals each? i think) from A&P, they only cost few dollar each, you can then SPRAY or use paper towel and wet them with vinegar and stick them to corraline.. (keep spray and keep them soak for 10 mins or so...) just an easy swipe after then should work.

have fun.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
you can get about TWO Vinegar bottle (2 Gals each? i think) from A&P, they only cost few dollar each, you can then SPRAY or use paper towel and wet them with vinegar and stick them to corraline.. (keep spray and keep them soak for 10 mins or so...) just an easy swipe after then should work.

have fun.

+1

It might be easier to lay the tank on its side and lay the paper towels on top of the overflow. Keep them wet with vinegar and most of it should wipe right off. For the hard areas, an old toothbrush, vinegar and some elbow grease will get it off.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I moved this over here to tale of the tank so it would be easier to follow and not get lost in the general discussion threads. Thank you for setting this thread up and can't wait to follow it along.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Congrats Jason. That was a nice raffle to win!

Good luck with the build and I'll be following along. I'd have suggested vinegar for the cleaning too, but that was already covered. ;)

Good luck with the build. I use the vineger.
I always find this funny, b/c there are so many new reefers on other forums who can't wait to get coraline in the tank, yet we all want to clean it off. Heck, they even sell stuff to help get it!!

malulu

NJRC Member
Good luck with the build. I use the vineger.
I always find this funny, b/c there are so many new reefers on other forums who can't wait to get coraline in the tank, yet we all want to clean it off. Heck, they even sell stuff to help get it!!

+1 !
:grin:

falconut

NJRC Member
Definitely agreed with the white vinegar. I used to use brushes and lots of force, so much it was a real pain. Then I read people using vinegar and wow it works great. Coraline turns to mush and wipes away with little effort.

Congrates on the win. Definetely take your time with the build. Rushing things in the hobby usually doesn't turn out good.