• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Glass or plexi for refugium/sump build

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I would go with glass if you're talking about making baffles in a sump. Plexi/acrylic can bend under the weight of the water and does not "bond" to silicone as well as glass will.

I agree with Kevin glass is the way to go.
but if you do go the plexi route make sure you get some plexi that's on the thick side so you don't get a lot of flex from the water pressure.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How big is the DT and what size sump/refugium are you considering?

If the sump is between 10 – 75 gallons, I prefer glass tanks. They are easily and readily available at reasonable cost. As far as baffles, I personally prefer acrylic because I can cut and modify it very easily. However, with glass or acrylic, you need to get it thick enough. If glass, only on the smallest tanks can you use standard 1/16 inch window pane glass, readily available at HD or Lowe’s. You’ve got to get it thick enough so that the water pressure doesn’t bow the glass/acylic. Similarly, HD and Lowe’s standard acrylic is relatively thin. For the 40 breeder I have, I used 3/8 inch acrylic sheet.

As far as the silicone holding glass or acrylic baffles, with both, the baffle is physically entrapped in the silicone, so it doesn’t matter.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Are you looking to build a sump from the ground up or, buy a standard tank and make it into a sump?

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
if the sump is glass use glass
if it's made from acrylic use acrylic

I agree with acrylic if the baffles are all you need. I like acrylic. Worked fine in my 20 long and when I wanted to move a baffle later...the silicone was bonded pretty darn good...got a work out! Besides plexiglas is easier to cut and difficult to break.

+1 on what Kurt said. Don't mix materials, the bond won't hold up over time
If done right it will be fine, look at most tanks. They come with plastic overflows siliconed to glass. My tank has acrylic overflows siliconed to glass, was manufactured in 2002, still holding strong. It's all in how everything is put together and how it is cured.