• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Glasscages 180 gallon rr upgrade build

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Hi all
I just picked up my new 180 gallon reef ready euro braced tank last nite. The tank has Starphire glass on three sides. The stand and canopy still need to be stained and yes the stand is backwards for now until tank is set in its final resting place,i still have work to do on the wall it will be going against.The tank will be piped to my basement .

My equipment list:
Etss 600 skimmer iwaki 70 rlt
Kessil LEDs ( two 350,s and two 360,s)
three vortech mp40,s gen 2's
Reef octopus 140 bio pellet reactor
Digital aquatics controller
I have not decided on the return pump yet but thinking about reefflow gold barracuda/hammerhead.
The tanks sump will be a rubbermaid 100 gallon stock tank in the basement along with 200 lbs of live rock and small refugium. I'am also thinking of getting a new skimmer.I like the reef octopus diablo cone skimmers

180g_tank_001_original.jpg

180g_tank_004_original.jpg

180g_tank_003_original.jpg

180g_tank_006_original.jpg

Last edited:

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Thanks antony.it was a nice fathers day gift after a rough couple of weeks.The Niger is going to like it..

I bet haha, he'll be a small fish in a large tank! At least for a few years haha :). And, I'm glad you got something like that, you sure needed something to brighten your day. I hope you enjoyed today, and I look forward to this tank getting all wet :)

Looks great. As far as the skimmer, you might take a look at this one, @ $265 it's probably one of the best investments I've made, and with a Sicce PSK 1000, uses the same pump as the Diablo's.

Hi, new guy here. Looking for a large tank in the 250 range. Are you happy with the build quality of Glass Cages? On some forums people seem to have issues. I understand they have excellent prices.

Thanks, Mark

deepblue68

POTM Winner
Hi, new guy here. Looking for a large tank in the 250 range. Are you happy with the build quality of Glass Cages? On some forums people seem to have issues. I understand they have excellent prices.

Thanks, Mark

Mark so far very pleased ,I just wish I went with one center overflow instead of two now. I couldn't beat the price. I read someone that rt 4 aquarium has a 225 tank or in that range for sale.

deepblue68, thanks for the info...I see rt 4 web site is under construction. Might have to make a road trip...

I guess you want the center overflow because of the Starphire glass on three sides? Tank looks sweet btw...

deepblue68

POTM Winner
deepblue68, thanks for the info...I see rt 4 web site is under construction. Might have to make a road trip...

I guess you want the center overflow because of the Starphire glass on three sides? Tank looks sweet btw...

The overflows are big and I think a center would give more swimming room or maybe not, it's still a very cool tank. I plan on very little rock work in the display mostly low lying rock work and build up close to overflows.iam going to try to keep center of tank open.

The overflows are big and I think a center would give more swimming room or maybe not, it's still a very cool tank. I plan on very little rock work in the display mostly low lying rock work and build up close to overflows.iam going to try to keep center of tank open.

Sounds like a nice design...hope you can post some pics...

deepblue68

POTM Winner
I decided to sell my 180 gallon tank today. I did not have the time money and energy to complete this project so instead of holding on to it I decided to sell it and let someone else enjoy it.
I had good intention but life got in the way but on a good note I really love my 40b reef tank and get alot of enjoyment out of it.