• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

good epoxy?

What is everyone using to hold frags to their rock work? I have tried the TLF, the marineland, and the purple epoxy. All with hit and miss success. I am looking for something that will work every time at any angle.

I use plain old gel superglue for SPS. Use a 1/4" drill bit to make a divit in the plug/rubble, fill the hole a bit with glue, go around the edge to seal the crack and then place in salt water. The water will cure the glue rather quickly.

If that gives me trouble, i still glue in place, but then put a small ribbon of green putty around the seam. Takes a few weeks for the frag to grow over it but it holds nicely.

I don't have a problem with the frags sticking to the rubble, its getting the rubble to stick to the rock work in my tank. Its seems all the expoys and glues I have tried fail, then I have to tear the tank apart to find the frag discs again.

TheGuyFromNJ: Sorry, my misunderstanding. I don't use discs for just that reason. The easiest way I have found is putty over opposite sides of the disc. Kind of like the setting used to hold a diamond in a ring. I putty from the top of the disc over the sides then really smoosh it into the rock. Sometimes I have to sit there with my hand in the tank until the putty hardens. Its not that hard to pop off with a screwdriver if you need to move it. Sometimes it takes a few tries before I get a good setting.

I switched to plugs and have a few rocks that I drilled a bunch of holes in it with a concrete drill bit. I have the rocks at different water levels for light preferences. HTH

As far as the Mighty Putty, I have some in the basement. It appears to be the identical stuff as the LFS purchased stuff. Green outside, grey middle, same texture, smell, etc. Anyone with an empty hospital tank willing to run an experiment? Mighty Putty is MUCH less expensive. Pack I have came with 4 sticks and cost about $20. The stick is about 3/4 the size of the large Marineland tube.

I had to order a magnet for my seio from Marinedepot so I ordered the epoxy they have, it is made by Tunze. Good stuff, seems to be holding so far, I was even able to hold frags on the side of the overflow tower.