• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Guppy Salinity Acclimation

These were feeders. I'll try a fancy guppy next time. The fancy guppies look a lot nicer than the ones I saw growing up. Must be all that inbreeding. Wonder if they can make the salinity adjustment as easily or if that has been bred out.

Cool post
Tropiquarium told me you can acclimate Mollies to salt water.

I didn't know about the guppies

Seen you guys say , Sailfin Mollies , are these ones better?

Going to try to get them into my seahorse tank for a natural feed for them.

Although, I hope the problem, like MAVL666 said, maybe the seahorses will attack mommy molly for young and kill her.... hope not

This will be an up and coming experiment for me.

Glad to hear that the Mollies are pretty easy to do.

Here's a recap of what I have found with this experiment:

Mollies can be acclimated within a day or two. Guppies usually take a few days (especially fancy guppies).

Well fed fish don't want to bother chasing their food. Shrimp, on the other hand, are greedy and will eat them.

Guppies don't breed as quickly in full seawater, though males will spend all day trying to mate with already pregnant females.

People always look twice when they see a guppy/molly in a saltwater tank, wondering why/how you did that.

Mollies are voracious eaters of caulerpa and hair algae (almost as good as a tang except less than $3 even for a sailfin or lyretailed).

Other fish get annoyed at them since they are also fast eaters and the male spends most of the day trying to mate with the already pregnant female.

My (Marine) Mollies are even teaching the chromis to eat algae of the glass!!
Now that is one funny thing to watch!!!
Just remember... To anyone who does try this....

One male to 2-3 females for good breeding...
During and After giving birth the mother will try to eat the babies so net them up and put them in a sump or fuge for safety... ( I also let mine hang out in my overflows..)
After about a 2 months the babies will already try to breed and will triple in size....