• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

halide placement

Is there a certain height I should mount my two 175W halides over my 95g bowfront to get perfect spectral light for the tank?

no exp here but I'd imagine you'd want to factor in the temp...the closer they are - the hotter the tank will be.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You also have to consider salt spray/water splashing. I think it's pretty standard to mount them approximately 10 - 12" off the surface of the water. Unless of course, you have a shield over your halides, then you could put them closer...although like Phil said you would have to worry about heat.

I just installed a retrofit kit into my canopy and it was a pain because all-glass canopies were not designed for a retrofit. But it worked out great and i have mine at least 10in off the water. they do cause alot of heat so you might want to install a couple of fans.