• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Halimeda causing coral disease?

Well the article is from 2004, haven't heard anything about it since.

I searched for the Ecology Letters article cited, but I think they must have the volume wrong. I'll try again later.

Anecdotally, I have kept Halimeda in my main display tank for over about a year and have lost only one coral. That was an SPS frag from a club raffle, that was probably stressed from shipping.

The only problem I had with certain macro algae was that it was competing with my SPS for calcium.
Before the introduction of Halimeda and another macro, I forget the name, my SPS were growing like mad but when the macro took off the calcium level dropped and the SPS growth slowed down. Once I removed the macro I noticed the normal growth rate slowly return. I could have solve this by upping the calcium reactor but it was easier to remove the macro.

I experienced the increase in calcium demand as well, Jose.

I've found a balance of weekly water changes and topping of with Kalk mixed at 2 teaspoons per gallon of RO/DI that is keeping up with it now. I trim the Halimeda weekly to maintain a fairly stable population of macro.

I'm not so convinced. Maggy Nugues was a postdoc in our lab before I got here, and she does amazing work, but...I'm not convinced, at least that Halimeda is a vector.

cj