• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Hammer Help

Quick question my hammer coral has not been as inflated for the past week as it has been in the past. All other corals are fine. any ideas on what it could be?

something in your tank might be bothering it. Do you have any hermits? i have frogspawn that did the same thing. after looking at it closely a hermit had made itself comfortable after it shed it's shell and was waiting for it to harden. I guess it felt safe in there.

just my two cents
Harry

I'd start by looking for critters as harryk just mentioned. It could also be a fish bothering it. Clowns are known to do this.

I'd also test for nitrates and phosphates which seem to bother some hammers more then other corals. Other hammers don't seem to be bothered by rising levels. It seems to be a matter of what region they came from.

Has the flow in your tank changed at all recently? Any additional powerheads or direction changes on any of them? You could definitely check the flow around the hammer to make sure it's not too much.

How long have you had the hammer in your tank?

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Flow, light and magnesium are the three things that come to mind. All euphyllia species seem to be particularly sensitive to the levels of mag in my tank. Too much flow might keep them tighter, but I don't see it preventing them from expanding. As Carlo said, I'd also check nitrates (though mine never cared about PO4). Is there anything next to it (within 6")? If so, what?

everything checked out except for trites.
did a waterchange and dipped the coral we'll see how it goes
the hammer has been in my tank since the swap

I made a frag rack out of a mag and plastic cup bottom because a pep shrimp was picking at it. It is not looking good but i gave it another dip and it is now on the glass. I can see a few tenticle tips poking out

Sorry i didn't update you but it didn't make it .It was a long fight but i guess it was just getting too stressed out and couldn't recover. RIP mid January