• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Handling corals?

Guys I've heard stories that you are NEVER suppose to touch the coral whatsoever because almost all release toxic venoms, etc.. How am I suppose to place my Ricordea's in my tank without touching them?! I have no gloves except some medical ones that smell like a doctors office so I'm thinking they shouldn't go into a tank either way.. Ideas?

malulu

NJRC Member
in theory, if you do not have any cut on your hand, you can do it.
i normally use some clip or chop-stick to place them to glue on a small size rock first, then holding the small rock to place them in the tank.

Anthony, if the gloves are powder-free then they will work for your safety. Rinsing them well will work as well if they're powdered.

Are the rics attached already? If not I have used a small tub of rock rubble or even a shot glass to keep them from getting blown away long enough to attach to some of the rubble.

well I have no idea if they're attached or not, getting them from Reef 2 Reptiles, thing is, I don't wanna glue them anywhere and I only have one long branch of tonga which wouldn't even fit it, so I don't know how I'm gonna keep it from not getting blow away =(

Thanks for the glove update though guys!

Greg will likely have some there when you pic them up too. Empty snail shells work, but may grow legs if you have hermits... don't ask how I know this.

Well he's actually delivering haha! I think he's just gonna bring them in a bag because rock poses to much of a treat for a bag rip.. I'll just put it on my smallest rock and try to seclude that one in a container or something like that.. idk.. Thanks though guys!

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Anthonyjiz

You can use wedding veil material placed over the ric and rubber banded to the rubble.

Bob

i just used the method magic described with success.

You can pick up a roll of "tool" at a craft store for a few bucks.