• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

harlequin shrimp

These are the coolest shrimp I have ever seen. Does anyone have any experience with these? I would like to get one

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The only thing that they eat are starfish. You need to be committed to the purchase of a chocolate chip starfish once week or so for their consumption. Without that food source they will die.

They are cool to watch, but at 15-20$ every two weeks, they're an investment.

i like them too.... very cool, but i don't know how i feel about continually buing starfish for them to eat alive..... i buy rats for my snake, but he kills them before he eats them.... ::)

Phyl said:
The only thing that they eat are starfish. You need to be committed to the purchase of a chocolate chip starfish once week or so for their consumption. Without that food source they will die.

They are cool to watch, but at 15-20$ every two weeks, they're an investment.

yea thats the only thing that is keeping me at bay

Mike,
You wont be able to feed the chocolate chip starfish cause of your corals. I have 2, I got them to take care of the tiny star fish, now that they are gone, I'll be feeding them sand sifting star fish, you can get them from Steve for about $8 1-2 a month should be fine. It's pretty cool to watch them eat, they don't kill the star fish right away, mine eat a leg a week then save the body for last, it's kind of cruel but they have to eat ::)

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I feed mine chocolate chip stars with no issues to the corals. Once the harlequins get a hold of the star they don't let it go so it doesn't get a chance to touch any corals.

mott768 said:
Mike,
You wont be able to feed the chocolate chip starfish cause of your corals. I have 2, I got them to take care of the tiny star fish, now that they are gone, I'll be feeding them sand sifting star fish, you can get them from Steve for about $8 1-2 a month should be fine. It's pretty cool to watch them eat, they don't kill the star fish right away, mine eat a leg a week then save the body for last, it's kind of cruel but they have to eat ::)
oh it sounds so barbarric but that is life on the food chain i gotta get one

I feed my two shrimp one chocolate chip starfish leg each week and leave the starfish in the sump.

what you all need to do is find a diver in Australia to ship us some crown o thorns. We rid the reefs of a predator and everyone gets a leg from that multi-legged monster.